This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Air fryer steak is delicious, tender, and juicy. Not to mention, it’s the perfect no-fuss way to make a marbled ribeye or thick-cut NY strip steak. No matter if you like your steak medium-rare or well-done, this guide will show you how to cook it to perfection.
Do you love grilled steak but hate the mess and hassle of cooking it on the grill? Then you need to try cooking steak in the air fryer! This method is quick, easy, and results in a delicious and juicy steak. In this recipe post, I will discuss how to cook ribeye and NY strip cuts in the air fryer. I will also provide some tips for ensuring that your steak comes out perfect every time.
why you’ll love cooking steak in air fryer
- More control. Cooking your steak in the air fryer gives you more control over the temperature at which the steak cooks. This means that you can cook it to your desired level of doneness, whether that be medium-rare or well-done.
- Tender and juicy. When cooked properly, air fryer steak is tender and juicy. The high heat of the air fryer helps to create a nice sear on the outside of the steak while keeping the inside tender.
- Less mess. Cooking your steak in the air fryer creates less of a mess than cooking it on the grill or stovetop. There is no need to worry about flipping the steak multiple times or dealing with grease and splatters.
- Hits the spot. Sometimes the craving for steak just hits you, and you don’t want to deal with the hassle of cooking it. That’s where air fryer steak comes in! This method is quick and easy, so you can have your steak fix in no time.
Ingredients to make air fryer steak
- Steak: You want to select a steak that has some fat to it, like a ribeye or strip. This will help to ensure that the steak is juicy and flavorful. If your steak is too lean, it has a higher risk of coming out dry.
- Oil and/or butter: Helps season the steak and creates a nice sear without having to pan-sear your beef first.
- Salt and pepper: A high-quality cut of meat doesn’t require anything else but salt and pepper to bring out its natural flavors.
how to make steak in air fryer
No matter your skill level in the kitchen, cooking air fryer steak is easy to do. It’s one of the reasons why I love cooking with my air fryer, its simplicity. Here are the basic steps for cooking air fryer steak:
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel.
- Rub the steak with olive oil.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides.
Air Fry Steaks
- Arrange a single layer of the steaks in the air fryer basket and air fry.
- flip once until cooked through.
Tips for cooking Ribeye and NY Strip steak in the air fryer
- Keep in mind that the temperature will increase while it rests. The steak temperature will go up an additional five degrees as the steak is resting. So you don’t want to overcook it depending on your desired level of doneness.
- Pick steaks of even thickness. When you’re browsing the meat department, make sure to purchase steaks that are of even thickness. This will help to ensure that your steak cooks evenly throughout.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer. If you try to cook too many steaks at once, it will lower the temperature of the air fryer and cause your steak to take longer to cook. For best results, cook one or two steaks at a time.
- Let your steak come to room temperature before cooking. This may seem like an unnecessary step, but it’s actually quite important. Allowing your steak to come to room temperature helps it cook more evenly throughout.
- Slice your steak against the grain. How you cut your steak makes a big difference in how it tastes. When you cut the steak against the grain, it helps to make it more tender.
- Use a meat thermometer. The best way to ensure that your steak is cooked to perfection is by using a meat thermometer. I highly recommend investing in one if you don’t already have one.
popular substitutions & additions
- Finish your steak off with a pat of butter. Fat = flavor. Adding a pat of butter to your ribeye or NY strip steak will help to give it some extra flavor.
- Try using different seasonings. If you want to change things up, try using a different oil or seasoning on your steak. Some good options include rosemary, garlic, or thyme.
- Serve with your favorite sides. Air fryer steak is delicious on its own, but it’s even better when served with sides. Some of my favorites include roasted potatoes, grilled vegetables, or a simple salad.
what to serve with your air fried steak
- Air Fried Baked Potato (recipe coming soon)
- Air Fryer Vegetables
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Avocado Fries
- Crispy Feta Crouton Salad
how to store & reheat air fryer steak
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
When you’re ready to reheat your steak, pop it back in the air fryer for a few minutes until it’s heated through. You can also reheat it in the oven or on the stove. Keep in mind that reheating will cause it to cook internally. To avoid over-drying, try and watch it until it’s just warmed through.
how long will cooked steak last in the fridge?
Cooked steak will last in the fridge for up to four days. After that, it’s best to freeze it.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! You can cook frozen steak in the air fryer. Just make sure to add a few minutes to the cooking time. You’ll want to do a “thawing” round in the air fryer for 3-5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the steak. Once thawed, remove and season, and then proceed with cooking.
The best way to know when your steak is done is by using a meat thermometer. Steak is considered medium-rare when it’s cooked to an internal temperature of 135 degrees Fahrenheit.
Yes, BUT because of the different fat content, you will want to adjust the cooking time. Sirloin and flank steak have less marbling (fat), which means they will cook faster than a ribeye or NY strip. I would recommend reducing the cooking time by a few minutes.
That’s all there is to it! As you can see, air fryer steak is easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients. Whether you’re a beginner or a pro in the kitchen, this dish is sure to be a hit. Give it a try the next time you’re in the mood for steak, and let me know how you like it!
More air fryer recipes:
- Crispy Air Fryer Chickpeas
- Juicy Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Apple Chips in the Air Fryer
- Air Fried Greek Salmon
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Crispy Cauliflower Tater Tots
- Air Fried Chicken Thighs
- Savory Air Fried Coconut Shrimp
- Air Fryer Boiled Eggs
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
If you try this feel good Air Fryer Steak recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Air Fryer Steak
- Allow the steaks to come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Then pat them dry with a paper towel. Rub the steak with olive oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Arrange a single layer of the steaks in the air fryer basket and air fry for 5 minutes, then flip and air fry for 5-7 more minutes, until cooked through, and internal temperature reaches between 135°F for medium rare or 150°F for medium well.
- Add the salted butter on top and allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes. Slice and serve with a side of your choice
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.