This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sweet potatoes are the new toast! Well, they don’t actually taste like toast, but once you toast them and top them with mashed avocados and fried eggs, they make for a very satisfying and nourishing breakfast or even lunch. Try this easy idea for a grain-free protien-packed meal!
ingredients & SUBSTITUTIONS
- Sweet potatoes: These are the star of the recipe. There are many varieties of sweet potatoes that you can choose from or yams if you prefer. Just opt for one that is wide versus long so that the slices can fit the width of a fried egg.
- Eggs: You can fry the eggs, boil, poach or scramble. Check out the details below for how to fry the eggs perfectly to top the sweet potato toast.
- Butter: Used to fry the eggs, but you can use olive oil or coconut oil or any oil you prefer.
- Avocado: Because everything is better with avocado! You can mash the avocado with salt and pepper to add the sweet potato toast. It allows the eggs to adhere to the toast without slipping. You can use any other dip, cream cheese or melted shredded cheese if you’d like.
how to make sweet potato toast
Start with a wide piece of sweet potato and slice it really thin. Once you have the perfect thickness, you can literally just pop them into a standard toaster or even a toaster oven and toast until they are fork tender. The duration will depend on the strength of your toaster. I used a toaster oven for mine and it took about 10-15 minutes to get it perfect. If you’re cooking a huge batch of them, you can even put them in the oven at 450° F for about 15 minutes flipping halfway through. Once they’re toasted, you can top them as you wish!
tips for making sweet potato toast
- Watch the thickness of the sweet potato toast slices. You want to aim for 1/4″-1/3″ thickness. Be careful not to slice it too thin because it won’t hold its shape and don’t slice it too thick or it won’t cook fast enough in the toaster.
- Try it with a toaster. You can make these in the oven or toaster oven, or simply slide them into a regular toaster. You’ll need to pop them in a few times until they’re fully cooked, but it works just fine in a regular toaster.
For more sweet potato recipes:
- Loaded Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
- Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Rounds
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- How to Bake Sweet Potatoes
- Huevos Rancheros with Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Noodles with Chicken
- Brussel Sprout Sweet Potato Salad
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Sweet Potato Toast with Fried Eggs recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Sweet Potato Toast with Fried Eggs
- 1 large sweet potato
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 avocado
- Crushed red pepper for serving
- Chopped parsley for serving
- Using a large sharp knife starting at the root of the sweet potato, make 4-6 slices lengthwise about 1/4″-1/3″ in thickness. You can keep the skin or discard but it’s more sturdy if you keep the skin.
- Spray the sweet potato slices with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper
- Place the potato slices directly on the wire rack or on a baking dish in the toaster oven and toast the slices on medium-high heat until fork tender, about 9-11 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the toaster, and set aside on the wire rack.
- Meanwhile fry the eggs. Heat butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Break the egg onto the skillet and immediately reduce the heat to low. Cook uncovered until whites are completely set and yolks are thickened to your liking, about 5-7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mashed avocado on top of the sweet potato slices and top with the fried eggs and crushed red pepper, if desired. Enjoy immediately
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
Could they be cooked in air Fryer
It should work!
Looks amazing, im cooking this.
Awesome! Hope you love it!