Huevos Rancheros with Sweet PotatoesJump To Recipe
- Serves: 2
These Huevos Rancheros with Sweet Potatoes are the perfect Cinco de Mayo breakfast treat - loaded with tomatoes, cheese, cilantro and so much flavor!
- Author: Yumna Jawad
Huevos Rancheros with Sweet Potatoes
With Cinco De Mayo around the corner, I’m thinking all things Mexican. Whether you’re brunching with a group of friends or just want to feel festive by yourself for breakfast, lunch or dinner, these Huevos Rancheros with Sweet Potatoes definitely hit the spot! They are quite simple to make with just tortillas, sweet potatoes and eggs (you can also add black beans to the base) and then go nuts with the toppings as you wish! I love making a Mexican DIY taco bar when serving these to a group of friends because it makes eating them so much more fun when you an assemble and personalize them. What really makes these unique is the cumin chili spiced sweet potatoes that gives the Huevos Rancheros a sweet and savory kick. It’ll knock our socks off!
Here’s a close up of that runny yolk!
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, small diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 2 corn flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup shredded napa cabbage
- Garnishes: avocado, tomatoes, Mexican cotija cheese, cilantro and crushed red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a medium size pan, heat the olive oil and add the sweet potatoes to the pan. Season the sweet potatoes with cumin, chili powder, coriander, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Cook the sweet potatoes for 5-7 minutes until somewhat browned and partially cooked. Add about 1/4 cup of water to the pan, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to heat to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- In a separate small pan, fry two eggs sunny side up, with salt and pepper.
- Add the tortillas to a baking dish and place in the pre-heated oven for about 5 minutes to make them crispy.
- To assemble, divide the sweet potatoes on top of the tortillas, top with shredded napa cabbage, then the fried eggs. then garnish with avocado, tomatoes, Mexican cotija cheese, cilantro and crushed red pepper if you desire.
- Serve immediately while it's crispy and warm.