This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Healthy breakfast bowls are all the hype right now. Whether it’s a quinoa breakfast bowl, a rice breakfast bowl, or a sweet potato breakfast bowl, the concept is layering some complex carbs into a bowl and topping it off with an egg in some form along with more vegetables and healthy fats. It’s the perfect way to start your day with a boost of healthy ingredients!
And even though breakfast bowls are wonderful to kick off your day, you can really enjoy these for lunch or dinner. I’ll gladly eat a healthy breakfast bowl any time of the day.
The freshness of the ingredients used in this breakfast bowl with greens gives you a savory and crunchy bite with loads of flavor.
why you’ll love these healthy breakfast bowls
- Fast and simple to make
- Loaded with superfoods and nutrients
- Quick to make and enjoy any time of the day
Ingredients to make This Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
- Egg – Adding eggs to this simple breakfast bowl adds a big dose of protein.
- Olive oil – This is used to saute up the ingredients.
- Sweet potato – Make sure that you chop up your sweet potato into bite-sized pieces. You can also use leftover sweet potatoes.
- Garlic clove – The addition of garlic to this recipe really enhances the overall flavor. Garlic pairs well with the sweetness of the potato and the kale does a great job of absorbing it as well. You can also use garlic powder.
- Kale leaves – Many people shy away from cooking with kale but it’s such a great texture!
- Avocado – This superfood is always a good idea!
- Seasonings: Simple seasonings like salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes are all you need.
Substitions & Variations
- Make it vegan – If you don’t want to use an egg, think about cooking tofu to add on top or adding more vegetables like sauteed mushrooms that have a meaty texture.
- Switch out the toppings – Try adding a crunch like some slivered almonds or walnuts or you can also add some homemade salsa or guacamole.
- Leave out the heat – Skip the heat and just use salt and pepper as your seasoning of choice.
How to make A Sweet Potato Avocado Breakfast Bowl
- After boiling the egg, place it in cool water to help cool down and to make peeling easier.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet on the stove. Add in the garlic, followed by the kale.
- Use the same skillet and cook up the sweet potatoes. Remove and add to the top of the kale.
Tips for making A Savory Breakfast Bowl with Eggs
- Don’t overcook the kale. It should be a bit softer in texture but not completed wilted and mushy. Just a couple minutes of heat will do the trick.
- Double the egg. I often make this breakfast bowl recipe with two boiled eggs especially if it’s after a workout. You can also make the eggs scrambled, poached or fried.
- Try roasting the vegetables. For a more hands off approach, you can roasting the sweet potatoes in the oven or even make baked kale chips in the oven. Use some in the breakfast bowl recipe and leave the rest for snacking or meal prep.
- Pay attention while you’re cooking the sweet potatoes. You want them to not be mushy so not overcooking them is key.
Frequently asked questions
airtight container and keep it nice and cool in the fridge. It should stay fresh for up to 2-3 days.
Reheating this breakfast bowl is a breeze. Just add it to a microwave-safe bowl and heat it up in the microwave. If you have some fresh avocado on top, remove that before microwaving.
Cook the sweet potato pieces until they’re fork tender. And use a fork to test for doneness
The flavors of this breakfast bowl truly do mesh together perfectly. The smoothness of the avocado paired with the crunch of the kale will be like a texture and flavor explosion with each and every bite! Enjoy starting your day with this fun recipe – it truly is a treat!
For more egg recipes:
- Avocado Toast with Egg
- Green Shakshuka
- Low Carb Egg Wrap
- Healthy Egg Salad
- Breakfast Egg Cups
- Souffle Omelette
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
This Breakfast Bowl recipe was originally published on September 17, 2017. I modified the recipe slightly and this post now includes more tips, substitution ideas and step-by-step photos.
Eggs & Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
- Place the egg in a small saucepan and submerge the egg with cool water. Bring the water to a boil uncovered. Turn off the heat, cover the pan and allow the egg to cook until soft boiled, 5 minutes. Transfer the cooked egg to ice water to cool completely before peeling.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the kale and use tongs to toss with the olive oil and garlic. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and crushed red pepper and cook until slightly wilted but still crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer the kale to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining olive oil and the sweet potatoes and season with the remaining salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove and add on top of the kale.
- Cut the soft boiled egg in half and serve on top of the sweet potatoes and kale. Add the avocado and enjoy immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.