No more boring salads! Easy to make, this Brussel Sprout Sweet Potato Salad is full of flavor, color and texture - pairs with many main dishes
This Brussel Sprout Sweet Potato Salad salad is full of flavor and texture and is so easy to make. A veggie loaded nutritious salad that can be served cold or hot, this is the perfect side for so many dishes especially during the fall!
How do you make the Brussels sprout salad
Prep the ingredients
- Brussels Sprouts: To shave the Brussels sprouts, you can cut them thinly with a sharp knife, use a mandolin or use the slicer attachment in a food processor.
- Sweet Potatoes: Peel the sweet potatoes and dice them with a sharp knife. Make sure they’re evenly cut.
- Walnuts: Arrange the walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in a pre heated oven at 350F for 8 to 10 minutes. You can also buy roasted walnuts or use raw walnuts.
- Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Dressing: Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing and place to one side until ready to use.
Roast the sweet potatoes
Place the cubed sweet potatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer, toss in the olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown and about half their original size.
Toss it all together
Place the Brussels sprouts and walnuts in a large serving bowl. Add the dressing on top and toss to combine.
Once it’s all tossed together, you can simply place the roasted warm sweet potatoes on top along with the blue cheese. I usually leave them on top as is without tossing again for best presentation, but you can give it one more toss.
Tips for making salads with Brussels sprouts
- Before shaving the Brussels sprouts, give them a good wash and remove the outer leaves. The outer leaves can be tougher or more bitter, so it’s best to pull these off.
- Enhance the flavor of the walnuts by toasting them. This added step really improves the quality of the texture and releases the oils from the nuts, but if you are short on time, you can use them un-toasted.
- Make it a fuller meal by adding protein. Turn this side dish into a main by adding some shredded chicken, or to keep it vegetarian, try adding in some roasted chickpeas.
Frequently asked questions
This salad can be served immediately while the ingredients are still warm or you can refrigerate it and serve cold. It’s delicious both ways!
Because this salad uses Brussels spouts as the base, they won’t wilt when the dressing is added. Because of this, the whole salad can be made ahead of time and kept covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
This salad is so loaded with flavors and textures! I love the contrast between the salty blue cheese, crunchy Brussels and the soft roasted sweet potatoes. I can’t wait for you guys to try this!
More salads to try:
- Avocado Caprese Salad
- Shrimp Avocado Salad
- Chickpea Salad
- Fall Harvest Salad
- Arugula Potato Salad
- Cucumber Lemon Orzo Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Apple Walnut Salad
- Shirazi Salad
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Brussels Sprout Sweet Potato Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Brussels Sprout & Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts trimmed, halved, and sliced very thinly
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet, drizzle the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and roast in the oven until golden, about 25-30 minutes.
- To make the dressing, combine together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Place the Brussels sprouts and pecans in a large serving bowl. Add the dressing on top and toss to combine. Add the roasted warm sweet potatoes and crumbled blue cheese on top of the tossed salad, and serve immediately or refrigerate and serve cold.