This Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad recipe is the perfect winter side dish. Fresh and light and packed full of healthy ingredients, this salad is on the table in just 15 minutes! It can also be made ahead of time and it great for meal prep.
If you’re dieting in the new year, you’re probably sick and tired of salads by Day 5…Lettuce, lettuce, lettuce and more lettuce. Here’s an alternative to your lettuce salads, try this Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad.
Why Brussels sprouts are so good for you
- PROTEIN: 1 cup of Brussels sprout has 4 grams of protein! They lack several of the amino acids necessary to make it a complete protein like meat or dairy, but you can add dairy to the salad (like the cheese I added) or even grains (like whole wheat pasta) to get the sufficient amino acids your body needs.
- FIBER: 1 cup of Brussels sprout have 2 grams of fiber. Fiber is good for digestive health, and making your tummy happy.
- VITAMIN C: 1 cup of Brussels sprout has 100 mg of Vitamin C, which is the recommended daily intake…score!
How to make this shaved Brussels sprouts salad
It’s so quick and easy to make this delicious and healthy salad!
Toss the shaved Brussels sprouts in a bowl to separate the layers.
In a small bowl, combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon and salt/pepper to taste, whisk to blend well and pour over the shaved Brussels sprouts. Then add the walnuts, raisins and Pecorino Romano cheese on top and toss to combine.
Top tips to make shave Brussels sprout salad
- To shave the Brussels sprouts, you can use a slicing attachment in a food processor or cut them thinly with a sharp knife.
- To make this dish vegan, use a vegan parmesan or omit.
- Use fresh lemon juice rather than bottled.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make this salad ahead of time?
Here’s the cool thing about Brussels sprout – they don’t wilt when tossed in dressing. What does that mean? It means you can do some major meal prepping and make a whopping serving of this salad to take to work or school. Or you can divide it up into Tupperware to enjoy a salad before dinner every day of the week without having to prep daily.
Why are Brussels sprouts called Brussels sprouts?
Brussels sprouts, as they are known now, are thought to have been grown as early as the 13th century in what is now known as Belgium. Brussels is the capital of Belgium.
What dressing is best on a Brussels sprout salad?
I used a simple dressing on this salad, consisting of olive oil, lemon and salt and pepper. It keeps the salad light and flavorful and still allows you to enjoy all of those wonderful flavors from the other ingredients.
So, next week, when you get bored of lettuce, lettuce, lettuce, try Brussels Sprout. Slicing them thinly can be a pain sometimes, but many grocery stores now sell them pre-sliced which is a huge bonus in tossing this salad together!
For more salad recipes:
- Turmeric Rice Salad
- Parmesan Chicken Salad
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh Salad
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 lb brussel sprouts shaved/sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (such as Pecorino Romano)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Toss shaved brussel sprouts in a bowl to separate the layers.
- In a small bowl, combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon and salt/pepper to taste, whisk to blend well and pour over the shaved brussel sprouts.
- Add the walnuts, raisins and Pecorino Romano cheese on top and toss to combine.