This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Follow this tutorial and learn how to make perfect baked sweet potatoes every time. If you’ve never tried them before, you are in for a treat. Slowly baked, these root vegetables undergo magic in the oven, transforming into savory-sweet, caramel goodness.
SWEET POTATOES HEALTH BENEFITS
There are so many amazing health benefits of sweet potatoes.Here are 5 facts to answer the question of why are sweet potatoes healthy:
- Sweet potatoes are considered low on the glycemic index scale – that’s basically a ranking for carbs in food depending that how they affect blood sugar levels. If something has low glycemic index, it means it’s more slowly digested.
- Sweet potatoes are high in both vitamin C and beta-carotene which means they help boost your immunity.
- Because of their high fiber content, sweet potatoes help to prevent constipation and promote regularity for a healthy digestive tract.
- One medium baked sweet potato with skin has only 103 calories.
- They may help support weight loss. About 12% of the starch in sweet potatoes is resistant starch. This is a fiber-like substance your body doesn’t digest, which was found to actually help burn fat after a meal.
How to bake sweet potatoes
prepare the sweet potatoes
- Wash well under running water. Scrub off spots of dirt.
- Dry the potato thoroughly.
- Use a fork to make a series of holes all over.
Bake in the oven
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to minimize any mess. Put the potatoes on the baking sheet and bake until tender through to the center.
- When done, the potatoes will be puffed up and a knife should glide easily through.
Tips for baking sweet potatoes
- Make sure to poke holes in the potatoes. The holes are like little steaming vents so that as the sweet potato gets hot and cooks. It also releases steam and helps to reduce baking time.
- Let the potatoes bake until soft and collapsing on themselves. This ensures that the baked sweet potatoes reach maximum tastiness.
- Beware the drips. These will leak, hence the lined baking tray. If you throw the potatoes on the bare oven rack, protect your oven bottom with aluminum foil.
- Pick unblemished potatoes: To guarantee the best texture and taste avoid bruised veggies.
Frequently asked questions
Stored in an airtight container or tightly covered, these will last 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Go sweet (maple syrup, cinnamon) or savory (smoked paprika, 7 Spice, hot pepper.) Top with chili, any type of bean, plain yogurt, or tzatziki sauce. Asian flavors like soy or miso sauce work well, too. Excellent with roasted chicken or sliced into salads.
Yes, definitely experiment with all the varieties of sweet potatoes. The Japanese Murasaki type with purple skin is particularly nice roasted.
Baked sweet potatoes are one of the simpliest, yummiest, most nutritious sides you can cook at home.
More sweet potato recipes:
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Sweet Potato Waffles
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
If you found this tutorial for How to Bake Sweet Potatoes helpful or if you try any recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of trying out this tutorial and we would love to hear about your experience. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
How to Bake a Sweet Potato
- 3 sweet potatoes
- Butter for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the sweet potatoes well, dry and use a fork to poke holes all over the sweet potatoes.
- Place sweet potatoes on prepared baking sheet and bake until tender through to the center, 40-50 minutes. It should be puffed up and soft when pierced with a knife.
- Allow the sweet potatoes to cool, then cut the tops open with a knife and serve with a pat of butter, salt and pepper, if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.