This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Perfectly warming and full of flavor, this vegan sweet potato soup is made with coconut milk and is wonderfully creamy. This curried soup is simple to make in one pot, and is great for meal prep and freezer meals.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber. They add a wonderful base flavor to this soup. You can use any type of sweet potatoes and it’s best to remove the skin so the soup stays creamy.
- Aromatics: This includes the usual onions, carrots and celery which are the base of so many recipes as they add a ton of flavor and nutrients.
- Broth: Use vegetable broth for the liquid in this soup to keep it plant based. You can use chicken stock thought of even water if that’s what you have and prefer.
- Ginger: Use freshly peeled ginger for a burst of flavor. It works so well with the other ingredients in the soup and helps to give it that delicious Thai flavor.
- Spices: Coriander, curry, salt and pepper.
- Coconut milk: To keep the soup vegan, use canned unsweetened light coconut milk. It has less calories compared to full fat and gives it a tasty creamy texture without having to use heavy cream.
How to make sweet potato soup
- Cook the onions, celery and carrots until soft and aromatic.
- Add sweet potatoes, ginger, coriander and curry powder.
- Add the broth and cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Blend until smooth and stir in the coconut milk. You can use an immersion blender or transfer to a blender in batches.
Tips for making soup with sweet potatoes
- Remove the skin. While the skin of sweet potatoes is very nutritious because of its high fiber content, it won’t allow the soup to be silky smooth if included in this recipe.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into small bite sized pieces. Even though you’re going to blend the soup later, it helps to cut the potatoes smaller so they cook faster without uneven spots of tenderness.
- Swap coriander for dried parsley if you don’t like its flavor. This will still give you the herby flavor.
- Add something crunchy as a topping. When having pureed soup, each bite can start to feel monotonous after a while. Adding nuts, seeds, croutons, crackers or tortilla chips can really elevate a blended soup like this. Try it with cashews!
Frequently asked questions
Once you have made your sweet potato soup, let it cool before transferring to an airtight container. Keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can the reheat it gently on the stovetop or microwave it 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Yes, this soup freezes well and will keep for up to 6 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight and give it a stir before reheating as the ingredients may separate a little.
This sweet potato soup is so perfectly cozy! Made with coconut milk, this curried soup is wonderfully creamy and full of vibrant flavors. So simple and easy to make, there’s nothing not to love!
More Soup Recipes:
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Easy One-Pot Ravioli Soup
- Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
- Vegan Asparagus Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Lentil Kale Soup
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Sweet Potato Soup recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 4 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon curry
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup unsweetened light coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Toasted cashews for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Cook the onions, celery and carrots until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, ginger, coriander and curry and cook until fragrant, about 2 more minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring mixture to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 30-35 minutes.
- Puree the mixture with an immersion blender (or regular blender, in batches) to desired consistency.
- Stir in light unsweetened coconut milk and serve topped with fresh cilantro and roasted cashews, if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.