This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cheesy oven-roasted asparagus – slow-roasted asparagus tossed in garlic, salt, and pepper topped with gooey mozzarella cheese makes for a delicious, easy weeknight side. Get ready to have a new favorite veggie side dish! This oven roasted asparagus is perfection with every bite.
Baked asparagus with cheese is the perfect side dish that you’re going to crave over and over again. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s loaded with flavor and pairs with just about any main dish! Who knew that veggies could taste like this?
why you’ll love this cheesy baked asparagus
- This oven roasted asparagus only requires three ingredients making it the perfect quick side to throw toghther!
- It’s easy! This apapragus recipe takes your from prep to plate in under 15 minutes!
- It’s kid-friendly! Your kiddos are sure to eat their veggies when you present them wrapped in gooey cheese.
Ingredients to make oven roasted asparagus
- Asparagus: Picking out fresh asparagus at the store isn’t difficult. Find ones that are skinnier at the top and thicker at the base.
- Olive oil: The olive oil helps the simple seasonings coat the asparagus spears.
- Garlic cloves: Fresh garlic cloves really enhance the flavor.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Shredded mozzarella cheese is flavorful and is a great melted cheese to cover the top of the asparagus.
- Salt & pepper: Simple seasonings are all that is needed to enhance the flavor.
How to make baked asparagus with cheese
- Place the asparagus on your lined baking sheet.
- Top with olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven.
- Add cheese and then bake in the oven for a few more minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
Tips for making garlic roasted asparagus
- Blanch and shock your asparagus. If you are working with thick aspargus you’ll want to blanch them in some boiling salt water for 2 minutes followed by an immediate ice bath, pat dry add seasongs and then roast. This will ensure that the inside of your aspargust is cooked.
- Shred cheese from a block. While you can definitely use pre-shredded mozzarella cheese, if you shred it from a block, it doesn’t contain the anti-caking enzymes, which allows it to create the perfect cheese pulls!
- Trim the asparagus. This might sound obvious, but it’s overlooked. Trim the bottoms off of fresh asparagus before cooking.
popular substitutions & additions
- Cheese. Change up the type of shredded cheese to easily change up the flavor. Shredded parmesan cheese is also delicious.
- Seasoning. Salt and pepper are wonderful, but asparagus pairs well with just about any type of seasoning you’d like. Lemon pepper, chili flakes, or even everything bagel seasoning would work.
- Lemon. Before serving the baked asparagus, squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top!
- Butter. Use butter in place of oil to add a whole new flavor. Salted butter would be delicious, but you can easily use unsalted butter as well.
what to serve With this baked asparagus recipe
- Pickle Brined Chicken Tenders
- Breaded Air Fryer Chicken
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Tomato Poached Fish
- Air Fryer Salmon
how to reheat & store baked asparagus
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Make sure to let the asparagus spears cool down all the way before storage. The easiest way to reheat asparagus once it has been cooked is to add it to the microwave for a few seconds. This won’t crisp the spears back up, but it will warm them. If you want to try and get back some of the crispiness to the spears, low and slow in the oven or even a short time in the air fryer may be a good idea.
how long will cooked asparagus last in the fridge?
As long as you store the asparagus properly, it should stay good for 4-5 days.
can i freeze asparagus that has been cooked?
No, you don’t want to freeze roasted asparagus. It is best enjoyed fresh from the oven.
Frequently asked questions
This is a big indicator that the asparagus has been cooked too long. There should be a balance of tender and crisp if cooked properly.
It can be hard to figure out exactly when asparagus is done cooking. Pay attention to the green coloring as it should darken, and also, the very tips of the asparagus should start to brown.
Yes, you’ll want to wash and rinse your asparagus before cooking it thoroughly. This will help remove any dirt, pests, or debris before roasting.
Now is the time to cook up this simple oven asparagus recipe! It’s a great way to fuel your body with a healthy side dish while also treating your tastebuds to great flavor. Since this fresh asparagus side dish is fast to put together and bake, it’s great for a last-minute addition to any meal.
More vegetable side dish recipes:
- How to Blanch Vegetables
- How to Grill Asparagus
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Tater Tots
- Unstuffed Peppers
- Parmesan Crusted Brussel Sprouts
If you try this healthy-ish feel, good Cheesy Oven Roasted Asparagus recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Cheesy Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the asparagus on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the olive oil on top of the asparagus and add the garlic, salt and pepper. Use your hands and toss the asparagus to coat.
- Bake until the asparagus starts to soften, about 8 minutes. Add the mozzarella cheese, and return the asparagus to broil until the cheese becomes golden and melty, about 2-3 more minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.