This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These easy oven roasted carrots make for a great vegetable side dish for any occasion. Made with a handful of ingredients, these healthy baked carrots are so simple and quick to cook in the oven, so they are great for a family weeknight dinner, but tasty enough to serve at Christmas or Thanksgiving.
All you need to make this roasted carrot recipe is a little olive oil, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and a touch of parsley. They are super easy to prep, and the ingredients bring out all the natural sweetness and flavor of carrots. Plus, the oven does all the work, caramelizing them and making them wonderfully soft. Perfect for when you’re in a pinch and need something quick but still want to impress!I If you love roasted veggies, be sure to check out my Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts, Roasted Delicata Squash an Roasted Beets Arugula Tomato Feta Salad.
Table of Contents
Recipe At a Glance
Cuisine Inspiration: American
Primary Cooking Method: Oven
Dietary Info: Gluten Free, Vegan
Key Flavor: Sweet, Savory
Skill Level: Easy
- Simple but Fancy: Simple enough for kids to enjoy, but look fancy enough for guests at dinner parties.
- 4 Ingredient Recipe: Roasting gives carrots a yummy caramelized edge, enhancing their natural sweetness, and we want to keep it that way by only adding a few complimentary ingredients.
- Easy to Make: These easy-roasted carrots take almost no time to prep. You just have to slice the carrots, season them, and pop them in the oven.
- Good for You: Cooked carrots are actually healthier for you than raw. When cooked, they release more vitamin A, as well as being easier to digest
Ingredients to make Roasted Carrots
You can throw this recipe together with just a handful of ingredients. It’s basically carrots, salt, pepper, and olive oil. It doesn’t get any more basic than that. But because the ingredients are so minimal, I recommend you use high-quality ingredients. What does that mean?
- Whole carrots, not the pre-cut baby carrots. The flavor is much more intense in the whole carrots, and they’re not treated with any chemicals to preserve them after they’re cut. So they’re healthier too.
- Extra virgin olive oil, not vegetable oil. This helps the carrots get the crispy edges, but also gives them a unique flavor that you wouldn’t get from neutral oils like vegetable, canola or grapeseed.
- Kosher or sea salt, but table salt is acceptable. Along with pepper, it’s really the only seasoning you’re using, which is why I recommend the big flaky salt.
RECIPE VIDEO TUTORIAL
How to roast carrots in the oven
Give the carrots a good toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. You can do this in a mixing bowl or right in a rimmed baking sheet. Use about 1 tablespoon for every pound of carrots and adjust as you see fit. I usually end up adding more than that. But it’s a good place to start.
Next, roast at the standard roasting temperature of 400°F. This ensures that the carrots are cooked on the inside before they get too crispy and caramelized on the outside. Depending on how large you cut the carrots, they will take anywhere from 20 to 25 minutes.
When the oven roasted carrots are cooked, you can hit them up with freshly chopped parsley or another garnish you have on hand.
Tips for making oven roasted carrots
- Cut the slices large. You’ll notice that the carrots shrink in the oven, so err on the side of large chunks. I also love cutting them diagonally because the presentation looks fancy and unexpected.
- Cut the carrots evenly. To ensure even cooking throughout for all the carrots, try to cut them evenly. This is not always easy when using a bag of organic whole carrots with each carrot varying in size. What I usually do is use the wide part of the whole carrots for roasting and leave the skinner part of the carrot for snacking.
- Peel the skin for best taste. This is not mandatory because the skin is edible as long as it’s washed and scrubbed well. But, I find that the outside skin of carrots tends to have a bitter taste, so for roasting I recommend peel the skin.
How to store & reheat Roasted Carrots
The best way to store your baked carrots is to place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge after they have cooled down.
To reheat them, simply spread the carrots out on a baking sheet and warm them up in the oven at 350°F until they’re heated through.
How long will Roasted Carrots last in the fridge?
Oven roasted carrots will last about 5-6 days in the fridge.
Can I freeze baked carrots?
Yes! You can freeze roasted carrots if you have a lot left over. Let them cool down, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or airtight container, and place it in the freezer. They can stay frozen for up to 3 months. However, if you do freeze them, I recommend you repurpose them by blending them in a soup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Carrot sizes can vary, so it’s possible they were thinner or the oven was a tad hotter than expected. Next time, just keep an eye on them and consider reducing the roasting time by a few minutes.
Get creative! While parsley is a classic, you could try adding rosemary, thyme, or even a sprinkle of garlic powder. A little grated Parmesan on top after roasting can be a great touch, too.
If you are planning a large meal, you can make these carrots a day before. Cook them, let the cool completely, and then put them in an airtight container in the fridge. To reheat them, place them in a medium-heated oven just to heat them through.
What to serve with roasted carrots
This recipe is easy to throw together and adds a healthy side dish with a pop of color. Add it to your Easter menu, or Thanksgiving spread or serve it as a side to a weeknight dinner. Plus it’s easy to make ahead of time for a holiday gathering. It goes really well with these main dishes:
- Garlic Butter Steak Tips
- Air Fryer Chicken
- Almond Crusted Chicken
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Panko Crusted Salmon
- Pomegranate Roasted Chicken
That’s basically all you need to know to make oven roasted carrots. It’s all about using whole carrots, tossing them with high-quality olive oil, and roasting them at the right temperature for a beautiful colorful side dish!
For more side dishes:
- Pan Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Green Bean with Almonds
- Thanksgiving Stuffing
- Creamed Spinach
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Healthy Mashed Potatoes
- Sautéed Mushrooms
- Cheesy Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Parmesan Crusted Brussel Sprouts
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Oven Roasted Carrots recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Oven Roasted Carrots
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Slice the carrots diagonally in 2-inch-thick slices. Toss them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Transfer to a sheet pan, spreading them out in a single layer.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 20-25 minute, until they’re browned and fork tender. Roasting time may vary depending on the size of the carrots.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley on top, if desired and serve warm.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.