This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you’ve ever had Lasagna Soup, then you would love this very similar Ravioli Soup that’s made with a tomato soup base and little squares of cheese-stuffed ravioli. It’s a delicious hearty balanced meal that is full of protein, vegetables and carbs – a great meal for the whole family!
Kid friendly soup recipe
If you’re looking for more kid friendly soup recipes, this easy ravioli soup is definitely one to try! This is a meat-lovers ravioli with lean ground beef, onions, garlic, fresh tomatoes, fresh herbs and the cutest mini one-bite raviolis that are perfect for little children. It’s a meal-in-bowl, which is cozy, comforting and completely delicious!
How to make ravioli soup
Start by browning the ground beef with olive oil, salt and pepper. When it’s cooked, you can drain the fat if you find that there is a an excessive amount. Next, you’ll add the onions and garlic to the cooked beef, and cook them until they soften.
Now you’re ready to add the fresh tomatoes, fresh chopped basil and tomato paste. Alternatively you can use a 28 ounce can of crushed or diced tomatoes and you can use dried basil or Italian seasoning. But, this is a great way to use of end-of-summer tomatoes and basil, and it adds so much more flavor to the dish!
To that, you’ll add water or vegetable stock/beef stock, bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. You want the mixture to thicken and all the flavors to blend well together. And finally, you’re ready to add the ravioli. It will only need a few minutes to cook. I recommend checking the package instructions and then cooking for 2-3 minutes less since it will sit in the soup and absorb more liquid as the soup cools.
Then you can enjoy this easy ravioli soup pronto with some fresh grated cheese and herbs!
Tips for making ravioli soup
- Use fresh tomatoes and fresh herbs if possible. There’s a lot to be said for speedy recipes that use canned tomatoes and dried herbs. But since there are such minimal ingredients in this ravioli soup recipe, I highly recommend using fresh produce to really elevate that flavor!
- Allow time for the soup to simmer. When you add the water or stock, the soup looks fully cooked and it’s tempting to just add the ravioli and be done with the recipe. But allowing the soup to come to a boil and letting it simmer really creates a more uniform flavor throughout each bite of soup.
- Don’t overcook the ravioli. You want to cook the ravioli less than al dente. That’s because if you over cook it, the texture will get very mushy and add too much starch to the soup. Check the package instructions for the recommended cooking time, and decrease that amount by 2-4 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does ravioli soup keep?
Let the soup cool to room temperature and pour it into an airtight container and it will keep well in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. The soup also freezes well, simply defrost it in the fridge before gently reheating.
Is ravioli soup healthy?
One serving of this soup is less than 300 calories, so it’s a great meal for kids or adults. It’s well balanced with protein from the beef and vitamins and minerals from the veggies. Serve with crusty bread for a more substantial meal.
How do you make a flavorful soup?
For a flavorful soup, you should use the freshest ingredients you can. I also recommend using a vegetable or beef stock for added flavor rather than water.
I know you are all going to love this tasty ravioli soup recipe! One pot and very little prep time makes this a great family dish. It was such a hit in our house, I can’t wait to hear what you think!
For more soup recipes:
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Vegan Asparagus Soup Recipe
- Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
- Mediterranean White Bean Soup
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Easy Ravioli Soup recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
This recipe was originally published on March 20, 2017 and updated to include new photos and a video!
Easy Ravioli Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 5 cups water
- 8 ounces mini Ravioli
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Fresh basil for serving for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the ground beef with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks with a wooden spoon for 4-5 minutes
- Add the chopped onions and garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions soften and become fragrant.
- Add the fresh basil, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and water and mix to combine. Bring to a boil. Then. reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ravioli and cook for 5-8 minutes, until the past is tender. Add more water if the pasta absorbs too much of the liquid.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, if desired.
- Instead of ground beef, you can use ground turkey or ground chicken.
- To make it vegetarian, substitute the ground beef for chopped mushrooms, eggplant or zucchini.
- If you don’t have fresh tomatoes, you can use canned tomatoes. I recommend skipping the tomato paste then, and instead using one 28 ounce can of crushed or diced tomatoes in the place of the tomatoes and tomato paste.
- If you don’t have fresh basil, you can substitute other fresh herbs like oregano, parsley or thyme. Or you can use 1 teaspoon of dried herbs.
- To make it gluten-free, you can use gluten-free ravioli or any other gluten-free pasta of your choice.