Regular tomato pasta can be so boring, so basic, so blah sometimes. Add a creamy touch to it, and the color transforms, the flavor transforms and my excitement level transforms! But in this vegan creamy tomato pasta recipe, the creamy touch is definitely not cream, or anything remotely dairy-based. Its *hummus*!
I grew up proudly Lebanese, and we ate hummus just as it is with some olive oil and pita bread. As hummus has become mainstream, so too have its uses. And this is one of the latest trends in the hummus world – adding it to pasta for a creamy consistency that you can’t even detect! See it’s just a lightened up marinara!
How to Make Vegan Creamy Tomato Pasta
To start, I make my basic marinara sauce, which is to-die-for! It’s so basic but the fresh ingredients and fresh tomatoes are what make it out-of-this-world staple sauce recipe! I sautee garlic with olive oil and oregano, then I add some tomato paste, fresh tomatoes and fresh basil and it looks like this:
The moment of true excitement is when I add the hummus to it. I stir it on low-heat for a couple minutes until the hummus is fully incorporated and it just lightens the sauce to a rosa color. You can use store-bought hummus or make a big batch of my basic hummus recipe and spare half a cup for the sauce.
Then you add the pasta of choice and garnish it with fresh basil. It’s as simple as that, but it’s as scrumptious as that – a nice change from marinara sauce always being the main event!
I’m obsessed with this combination! And next I’ll try hummus in an Alfredo style pasta!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Vegan Creamy Tomato Pasta recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Fore more vegan pasta recipes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato paste
- 2 cups pasta water
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1/2 cup hummus packaged or pre-made
- Pinch of sugar
- 12 oz pasta of choice
- More fresh basil to garnish
- In a large heavy saucepan on medium heat, heat olive oil, then add the minced garlic and oregano. Stir for 2-3 minutes, but do not let the garlic get brown.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, pasta water, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in the hummus and add a pinch of sugar. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes until the hummus becomes well incorporated.
- Add more water to adjust the sauce to desired consistency.
- Serve with pasta of choice with additional fresh basil as garnish.
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container. It will last about 4-5 days in the fridge.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However you can use any pasta of choice, any marinara sauce you like and any hummus (homemade or store bought). You can also leave out the sugar if desired.