This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Easy and quick to make, this homemade crouton recipe can be made ahead of time to top soups, salads and main meals. Seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper, they are a tasty way to add texture and crunch to your favorite dishes.
Ingredients to make the recipe
- Sourdough Bread: I strongly believe that the best croutons are made with sourdough bread. It has a great texture and crisps up really nicely. French bread or another crusty bread will work well too.
- Olive oil: Olive oil soaks into the bread and helps to brown it and create truly crunchy croutons. I prefer to use olive oil as it adds a nice flavor, but you can use vegetable or canola if that’s what you have.
- Seasoning: I seasoned my croutons with garlic, salt and pepper. I also love adding oregano and even onion powder sometimes.
How to make homemade croutons
- Toss the bread cubes in the oil and seasonings in a large bowl.
- Place on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until golden brown and crisp.
Tips for making croutons from scratch
- Cut the bread into similar sized pieces so that they bake evenly in the oven.
- Ensure that the bread cubes are fully coated in the oil. I like to use my hands to make sure they are oiled all over so they crisp up evenly.
- Let the croutons cool completely before serving. This will help them to crisp up all the way through. If you serve them straight out of the oven, they will likely be soft in the middle.
- Turn the heat down if your croutons start to brown too quickly. Be sure to flip them halfway through cooking so that they brown on all sides.
Frequently asked questions
These croutons are great to serve on top of soups to add a great crispy texture and I love adding them to salads, they are a great addition to a classic Caesar. They are also great to add to seafood dishes like Tomato Poached Fish.
Once the croutons have cooled, transfer them to an airtight container and keep them at room temperature. They will keep well for up to 2 weeks so be sure to make a big batch.
Yes! If you can’t get through all of your homemade croutons, then freezing them is a great option. Just pop them into a freezer bag and they will keep well for up to 6 months. To use, place the frozen croutons on a baking sheet and reheat at 250ºF until crisp.
I always have a batch of homemade croutons in my cupboard to add to lunchtime soups and salads. It’s so quick and easy to make a batch, and they are so much better (and more budget friendly!) than store bought.
Soup recipes for these croutons:
- Vegan Asparagus Soup
- 5 Ingredient Tomato Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Homemade Croutons recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Drizzle the olive oil on top and sprinkle the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Use your hands to toss gently until well-combined.
- Transfer the bread cubes to the prepared baking sheet, and spread out into a single layer. Bake until golden, turning once halfway through cooking, for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely to help them crisp up, and then used as desired.