This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These shrimp fajita bowls are super quick and easy to make, and are a great main meal or use them for meal prep. Full of vibrant and fresh ingredients, these bowls are high in protein and fiber and make a hearty and filling meal. Loaded with all of your favorite Mexican flavors, these bowls are a must!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Shrimp: Use large wild caught shrimp for this recipe either fresh or frozen. You can also use smaller varieties of shrimp as well.
- Rice, cilantro and lime: To make the cilantro lime rice for serving with the shrimp fajitas. You can skip this part of buy prepared rice or substitute with cilantro lime cauliflower rice.
- Fajita or taco Seasoning: Chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, salt and pepper are great to include here. You can make your own with taco seasoning recipe or buy pre-mixed seasoning.
- Peppers: Use a mix of different colored bell peppers for color and flavor.
- Onion and garlic: Use white or red onions for this recipe and slice them thinly. They are very popular to include with fajitas.
- Avocado: For topping the shrimp fajitas. You can slice them or mash them.
How to make shrimp fajita bowls
cook cilantro lime rice
- Cook brown rice as you normally would until the rice is tender.
- Right before serving, fluff rice with a fork and add lime juice, lime zest, and cilantro.
cook veggies & shrimp
- Add the sliced peppers and onions to a large skillet with olive oil.
- Add the garlic, some of the taco seasoning and continue cooking until the veggies are charred. Remove from pan.
- Add the seasoned shrimp to the pan.
- Cook until the shrimp is opaque and turns pink.
Tips for making shrimp fajita bowls
- Don’t over cook the shrimp. They will only need 2 or 3 minutes on each side. If you overcook them they can become chewy in texture.
- Cook the shrimp in an even layer. This allows them all to cook evenly. If you are doubling the recipe, cook the shrimp in two batches.
- Don’t flip the shrimp too early when cooking. If you try to flip them but they are stuck to the pan, leave them. They will release naturally by themselves when they are cooked.
- Customize with more toppings. These shrimp fajita bowls can be loaded with more toppings like salsa, guacamole, sour cream and cheese. It’s also a great way to add more vegetables to your meals.
Frequently asked questions
You can use fresh or frozen shrimp in this recipe. If you use frozen, ensure that they are full defrosted and dab them dry before you cook them.
You can make your own quick fajita seasoning with chili powder, cumin, coriander and garlic and onion powder. If you like things spicier or not as spicy you can adjust the levels of chili powder. If you have ready made fajita seasoning in your cupboard, you can use that instead.
Once you have made the bowls, keep them covered in the fridge. They will last for up to 2 or 3 days, but they are best when eaten within 24 hours.
For more Tex Mex recipes:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Shrimp Fajita Bowls recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Shrimp Fajita Bowls
For the rice:
- 1 ¼ cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
For the shrimp and fajita veggies:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 medium bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons taco or fajita seasoning divided
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 ripe avocado sliced
- Sour cream for serving
- Hot sauce for serving
Make the rice
- Combine rice with salt and water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer and cover. Cook until water is evaporated, and rice is tender, 45- 50 minutes. Right before serving, fluff rice with a fork and add lime juice, lime zest, and cilantro.
Cook the Vegetables & Shrimp
- In a medium bowl, mix shrimp with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add peppers and onions. After 5 minutes, add ½ cup water to help steam the veggies and deglaze the pan. Add garlic, remaining seasoning and mix to combine. Cook until veggies are charred and softened, mixing occasionally, an additional 2-5 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add shrimp mixture to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Divided the cilantro lime rice between four bowls. Top with the veggies and shrimp. Garnish with avocado slices and fresh cilantro. Top with sour cream and hot sauce, if desired, and serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
Whats does 1x means?
Is it only for one person?
Hi Katherine, great question! 1x means it’s the original serving size, which is 4 for this recipe. If you select 2x, it will double the recipe to feed 8 people. At the top of the recipe card, under the star rating, is where you find how many servings a recipe is. I hope that helps! You’ll have to let me know how you like the fajita bowl when you make it!
I made this delicious food today in between my meetings while WFH, can’t stress enough how great it was. My husband and I decided to eat seafood more regularly and so I cooked this mexican inspired food today to replace our Taco Tuesday and i’m so happy i did. Shokran jazila Yumna
I’m so glad you enjoyed it so much! Yay!!
Simply delicious. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Easy peasy. Ingredients always on hand (except cilantro – not my fav). Kid friendly!! Even quicker, use leftover or rotisserie chicken. Quick to prep – can’t even finish a glass of wine 🍷 before it’s ready!! Yum yum. 😋 Make extra for lunch leftovers!!!
Thank you! That makes me all so happy to hear.
Love an easy and delicious weekday meal always, but eye pleasing as well is such a bonus!! Never tried the lime in rice and so glad I did!!
Thank you so much! That makes me so happy to hear too!
How can I print the receipe
When you go to the recipe card at the bottom of the page, there’s a print button on top of the image that you can press, which will allow you to print the recipe!
This was amazing! So filling and I felt great eating it. Also easy and quick to make.
I didnt use avocado oil and some of the powders, but it still worked quite well
Yay! I’m so glad to hear that and thank you for sharing your feedback! Glad you enjoyed it :)))