Avocado Chocolate Mousse is a healthy dessert recipe made with a few ingredients in a few minutes. It's vegan, refined-sugar-free and tastes sweet and rich!
By now, adding avocado to desserts isn’t as much of a shocker. But this phenomenon was definitely mind blowing 5-10 years ago when we started seeing more and more sweet recipes with avocados like ice cream and smoothies. Avocado has a thick and creamy texture so it’s an excellent substitute for cream. And that’s exactly how you will use it in this avocado chocolate mousse. It’s the kind of dessert you can feel good about!
What does avocado chocolate mousse taste like
Ok, but first, what does this even taste like? And can you taste the avocado in the mousse? I think most people who have tried this recipe will agree that you definitely cannot taste the avocados (as long as they are super ripe avocados). The taste is chocolatey, rich and creamy. But something about it does taste a little healthier than traditional mousse made with cream and eggs.
With the amount of chocolate, cocoa powder and maple syrup going into the recipe, there is really no avocado taste! You would never believe avocados are in this recipe.
Is avocado chocolate mousse healthy
When it comes to whether something is healthy, I look at the type of ingredients being used. Here, the ingredients are wholesome natural products, with the exception of chocolate chips used to add that chocolate flavor haha. This is dessert after all!
I think the avocado chocolate mousse variation a healthy dessert you can enjoy in moderation. It has less fat, less calories and less carbs than traditional mousse. Each serving only has about 330 calories – not too shabby!
Avocados are cholesterol-free, making them a great substitute for heavy cream in this recipe. They also have no sugar, but good fats that can help lower the risk of heart disease. Because of their high healthy fats and all their vitamins, avocados are really good for your skin. So you get that glow while you fix that chocolate craving!
How to make avocado chocolate mousse
Ok, hopefully I’ve convinced you to try out this recipe by now! Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make it.
- 2 super ripe avocados
- Almond milk or other plant-based milk
- Cocoa powder
- Melted chocolate
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Throw all those ingredients into a food processor (or blender) and give it a whirl. You might need to scrape down the sides of the food processor every once in a while. It should take about 2 minutes and you’ll notice a beautiful pudding like-consistency. It’s pretty much ready to eat now as avocado chocolate pudding.
But if you pop it in the fridge for an hour to let it chill, the pudding texture turns into a mousse texture. That’s exactly what we’re looking for!
Tips for making Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- Start with ripe avocados to make sure everything blends well together. I tried this recipe with what I thought were ripe avocados a couple times and what I noticed was it took awhile for the avocados to break apart in the food processor. And as a result, there were streaks of avocado oil in the mousse. To avoid this, just use very ripe avocados.
- Warm the milk before adding to the food processor to avoid the melted chocolate from hardening. You can also blend everything together first and then slowly pour the milk in after the chocolate is mixed in.
- Use good quality bittersweet chocolate like Ghiradelli to get the best dark chocolate taste in the dessert – none of that chocolate melting candy here!
- Make sure to chill it for at least one hour for the best mousse-like consistency. When it’s done blending, it’s tempting to dig in and start eating it. But I think it tastes so much better after its been chilled and the flavors really set.
For more vegan desserts:
- Avocado Ice Cream
- Almond Joy Ice Cream
- Cappuccino Nice Cream
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie
- Vegan Lemon Pudding
What I love about this avocado chocolate mousse recipe is that the silkiness the avocado lends to the mousse without adding too many calories. It’s a rich, decadent and chocolatey recipe that you can easily whip up under 10 minutes to impress your family or guests. It’s also a pretty fool-proof mousse recipe with a final product that looks like it took way more effort than it did in reality!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Avocado Chocolate Mousse recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- 2 very ripe avocados
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate melted
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Coconut whipped cream for topping (optional)
- Strawberries for topping (optional)
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, combine avocados, melted chocolate, cocoa powder, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes, stopping as needed to scrape down the sides.
- Divide the mousse equally into four bowls or jars, and chill for at least one hour to get a more mousse-like consistency.
- Serve mousse cold with coconut whipped cream and strawberries, if desired.
- To make it completely vegan, use vegan chocolate chips. I used standard chocolate chips.
- To make it keto-friendly, switch out the maple syrup for stevia drops or granulated xylitol or erythritol. You may also be able to get away with just a drop of maple syrup