This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Deliciously rich and moist, this vegan chocolate mug cake is great when you want a sweet treat and quickly! Easy to make and ready to enjoy in minutes, it’s perfect when you need a quick chocolate fix.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Flour: Use all purpose flour to make this mug cake. If you have a gluten intolerance, you can use a 1:1 gluten-free flour.
- Sugar: Use granulated or cane sugar to sweeten up your cake.
- Cocoa powder: For a rich chocolatey flavor. Use unsweetened cocoa powder as we are already adding sugar.
- Baking powder: So that your cake rises when it is baked.
- Salt: Just a little salt helps to enhance the rich chocolate flavor. You can use kosher or table salt.
- Milk: To make this mug cake vegan, use unsweetened almond milk. You can also make this with other dairy-free milks like oat or soy.
- Coconut oil: Melted coconut oil replaces the need to use eggs. It helps to bind together the ingredients and add moisture to each bite.
- Vanilla extract: For flavor and sweetness.
- Chocolate chips: The chocolate chips melt into the cake, giving you a delicious gooey texture in the center.
How to make chocolate mug cake
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the almond milk, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a greased mug and microwave until cooked through and set.
Tips for making the cake
- Grease the mug well before adding the batter. It’s best to use an oil spray, or you can wipe some oil around it. Avoid butter which can cause the cake to stick to the sides.
- Use a large wide mug. The batter will double in size when cooked, so be sure to allow for that. You can pop a plate under the mug just in case there is any overspill.
- Use a mug with straight sides. This will help the cake to cook more evenly. Because there are no eggs in this cake, it doesn’t matter if it does get slightly undercooked.
- Know that cooking times may vary. Depending on what size and shape mug you use, and the power of your microwave, your cooking times will vary. 90 seconds is a good starting point, but yours may be slightly less or more.
Frequently asked questions
The beauty of mug cakes is that you can whip up a single portion in minutes. If you have leftovers through, they will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. They can be enjoyed cold or at room temperature, or very quickly reheated in the microwave.
If you don’t have a microwave, then they come out great in the oven too, they just take a little longer. Simply pour your batter into a greased oven proof ramekin and bake at 350F for 15 to 20 minutes. This is a great option if you want to make more than one. Just place the ramekins on to a baking sheet in case of any overflow.
This vegan chocolate mug cake is perfect to enjoy as it is. It’s also great with some fresh fruits like strawberries or raspberries, and a dusting of powdered sugar for an extra treat. You can of course add any toppings you like, like ice cream, whipped cream, sprinkles or chocolate shavings!
This vegan chocolate mug cake is such a perfect treat! Rich, moist and gooey and you don’t have to share it with anyone!
More easy desserts:
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- Almond Milk Rice Pudding
- Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
- Mint Chocolate Brownies
- Vegan Pudding
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Chocolate Mug Cake recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Chocolate Mug Cake
- Grease a 12-ounce microwave safe mug.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, combine all the dry ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Whisk to evenly distribute and break up any lumps.
- Add in the almond milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour the mixture into the prepared mug.
- Cook in the microwave on full power for 75-90 seconds. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes before enjoying.