This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Baked apple slices – warm, oven-baked apple slices coated in a delicious brown sugar and cinnamon-spiced butter with my secret ingredient – ginger! Not only will your house smell like amazing Fall spices while this bakes, but you’ll have a sweet treat to enjoy as well. And they’re so easy to make!
Fall is in the air, and that means one thing – baked apples! This recipe for baked apple slices is easy to follow, and results in a balanced and satisfying sweet treat. The brown sugar and cinnamon give the apples a nice flavor, while the ginger adds a touch of spice. Serve these apple slices with a scoop of ice cream for a full dessert experience!
why you’ll love these baked cinnamon apple slices
- Fall in a bite. Apples are synonymous with fall, and these baked cinnamon apple slices are the perfect way to enjoy them.
- Indulgent! The apples are soft and tender, coated in a sticky-sweet brown sugar butter, and spiced with cinnamon and ginger. The simplicity of the recipe allows the flavor of the apples to really shine through.
- So easy! This recipe comes together quickly and easily. It’s a great way to use up any apples you have on hand, and is perfect for a quick snack or dessert.
- Versatile. While you can eat a bowl of these baked cinnamon apple slices as-is, they’re also great as a base in other fall favorites like apple crisp, pie, and oven as a pancake topping!
ingredients to make oven-baked apple slices
- Apples: I used Honeycrisp apples for this recipe, but you can use any type of apple you like. Tart apples make for a bolder contrast in flavors, while sweeter apples will result in a more mellow dish.
- Butter: I always use unsalted butter so that I can control the amount of salt in the recipe, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand. You may need to reduce or eliminate the table salt altogether if you use salted butter.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar gives these apple slices a beautiful caramel flavor. You could also use honey, maple syrup, or white sugar.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon is a must in this recipe. It gives the apples a warm flavor that reminds me of fall.
- Ginger: This is my secret ingredient! A little bit of ground ginger adds a touch of heat and really brings out the flavors of the other ingredients. If you don’t have any on hand, you can leave it out or substitute it with ground nutmeg.
- Table salt: The purpose of the salt is to enhance the other flavors. A little goes a long way.
How to make baked apple slices in brown sugar
- Place the butter in an 8 x 11-inch baking dish and set in the oven until the butter is melted.
- Remove the dish from the oven, add brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and salt and toss to combine.
- Add the apples and toss again to evenly coat the apples with the butter mixture.
- Bake, tossing halfway through until the apples are soft but retain their shape.
Tips for making easy-baked apple slices
- Serve Warm. These apples are best served warm on top of pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, or even vanilla ice cream. Plus, while baking, the apples release liquid that mingles beautifully with the butter, sugar, and spices. Drizzle it on just about anything!
- Cut the slices the same thickness. You want to make sure the apple slices are cut to all the same thickness (between ¼ to ½-inch), so they cook evenly. I like to use a mandoline for this, but you can also use a sharp knife.
- Use fresh, firm apples. This will help to prevent the apples from turning mushy during baking.
popular substitutions & additions
- Switch out the spices. I love the warmth that cinnamon and ginger add, but feel free to get creative with the spices. A pinch of cardamom or nutmeg would be nice, too!
- Add a streusel topping. If you want to take these apples over the top, add a streusel topping! Just mix together equal parts flour, sugar, and butter until it forms a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle it over the apples before baking.
- Try it with different apples. To find your favorite baked apple slices, try making the recipe with different types of apples. Green apples will result in a tart dish, while red apples will be sweeter.
- Substitute the apples with pears. This recipe would also be delicious with pears! Just substitute them in for the apples, and bake according to the recipe instructions. Make sure the pears are semi-firm. You do not want to use soft, ripe pears.
what to serve/pair with your oven-baked apple slices
- Banana Pancakes
- Oat Flour Pancakes
- Homemade Waffles
- Baked Peanut Butter Oatmeal
- Easy Overnight Oats
- Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Banana Nice Cream
- Candied Walnuts
how to store & reheat baked apple slices
These baked apple slices can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. When you’re ready to eat, reheat them in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
how long will baked apple slices last in the fridge?
Properly stored, these baked apple slices will last for up to five days in the fridge. After that, they may start to dry out or become mushy.
can i freeze baked apple slices?
Yes, you can freeze these baked apple slices! Place them in a freezer-safe bag or container, and they’ll keep for up to three months. When you’re ready to eat, thaw them overnight in the fridge and reheat them. Note that they will be softer and might not have the same texture as when they weren’t frozen. That being said, they still make create filling for pie, or strudel, or you can even turn them into applesauce!
Frequently asked questions
You don’t have to, but I prefer to peel my apples before slicing and baking them. Apple skin tends to still be tough even after baking, from my experience, and I am not a fan of leaving it on.
For the best results, use a firm apple. Good options include Honeycrisp, Braeburn, Granny Smith, or Pink Lady apples.
Yes, you can! If you want to make a healthier version of this recipe, substitute the brown sugar for honey or maple syrup. You might need to add a little less since they’re both sweeter than brown sugar.
Baked apple slices are all fall favorites around my house with minimal work for a big payoff of flavor! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Let me know how it turns out for you in the comments below. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I’d be happy to help!
More Apple recipes:
- Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Cookies
- Homemade Apple Butter
- Apple Chips
- Apple Pie
- Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Apple Crisp
- Apple Muffins
- Homemade Applesauce
- Mini Cranberry Apple Pies
- Caramel Apple Granola Bars
If you try this feel good Baked Apple Slices recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Baked Apple Slices
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Place the butter in an 8 x 11-inch baking dish and set in the oven for 5 minutes, until the butter is melted.
- Remove the dish from the oven, add brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt and toss to combine. Add the apples and toss again to evenly coat the apples with the butter mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes, tossing halfway through, until the apples are soft, but retain their shape.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.