Vegan PuddingJump To Recipe
- Serves: 4
This easy homemade recipe for vegan pudding will have you forgetting all about store-bought instant-pudding. You only need a few ingredients to make this creamy dairy-free treat. Add your favorite fruits on top, or use it like you would pie filling in other desserts. It's rich, creamy and completely versatile!
- Author: Yumna Jawad
The homemade vegan pudding uses 5 ingredients and is made within 5 minutes! It is lighter in calories and fat than traditional pudding. Big bonus for me when it comes to healthier dessert options!
Have you ever seen what’s in the ingredients of instant-pudding boxes?
- Modified Cornstarch
- Artificial flavor
- Disodium phosphate
- Tetrasodium pyrophosphate
- Mono-and diglycerides
- Yellow #5
- Yellow #6
Ummm…. no thank you.
How about just the following?
- Coconut milk
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
The good news is I can pronounce all those, and it’s simple everyday ingredients and a few minutes of stirring to make your own pudding. I made it into a vegan pudding by using plant-based milk, but you can also use regular milk. I think sometimes we’re in a bind and the instant-box stuff can be a life saver. That’s totally cool. But if pudding is something you and your family enjoy often, it might be worth it to try making it on your own.
Especially after you see how easy it is to make!
How to Make Vegan Pudding
Here’s the cool thing about this recipe. You throw it all in a small saucepan. You whisk gently for a few minutes and you have pudding. Technically you should let it set in the fridge for the best consistency, but here’s a little secret…you don’t have to! It’s *so* good when it’s warm!
The non-vegan homemade pudding recipes will usually contain eggs to bind the mixture and add a more rich flavor to it, but the mixture binds really well with the cornstarch, and I think the vanilla extract adds a lovely richness to the recipe!
How to Use Vegan Pudding
So this is a simple basic vegan pudding with hints of vanilla. I love eating it as is with lots of fruit. You can also incorporate it into other desserts or use it as a base for other dessert recipes like these winners:
There are so many ways to eat it and enjoy you, you’ll find yourself making this all the time…it’s the perfect simple dessert!
Watch How to Make Vegan Pudding (1 min.)
I hope you love this healthy-ish feelgood dairy-free vegan pudding. If you make it, please leave me a comment telling me how you like it, or use hashtag #feelgoodfoodie on Instagram so I can see your recreations.
- 2 cups coconut milk (I like using Califia)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the coconut milk, corn starch and maple syrup, and stir well to combine all the ingredients together.
- Turn down the heat to a low simmer, and start whisking lightly but constantly as the mixture heats. It’s important not to stop whisking in order to avoid any clumps.
- After whisking for about 5-7 minutes, the mixture will thicken like pudding.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and pinch of salt, then divide the pudding equally into four containers.
- Place the containers in the fridge for at least one hour to allow the pudding to set and chill.
- Top the pudding with your favorite fruits and super foods and enjoy cold.
- Gadgets: I used these Weck jars to store the pudding…arent’ they adorbs?!
- Nutrition: The nutrition label is only for the pudding and doesn’t not include any toppings.
- Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 7 days.