This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Skip the store bought chips and make your own! These homemade potato chips are oven baked, so they are a healthier alternative and they are so simple to make! Seasoned with garlic and paprika, this is one tasty snack that you can feel good about!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Russet potatoes: These starchy potatoes are a top pick for the best homemade chips. Yukon Gold will work well too.
- Spices: To season these chips, use paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. You can easily mix up your flavors with different spices though.
- Olive oil: Because we oven bake rather than fry, we only need a small amount of oil. You can use olive oil like done here, but another high heat oil like canola or vegetable will work well.
How to make oven baked potato chips
- Thinly slice the potato chips and pat them dry.
- Place the slices into a bowl.
- Add the oil and seasonings.
- Mix well with your hands to coat all of the potato slices.
- Place the potatoes onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy. They will lift off the baking sheet when crisped.
Tips for making the recipe
- Pat the sliced potatoes dry with kitchen paper. This is to remove excess moisture. If you don’t, the potatoes are likely to steam rather than get nice and crispy.
- Don’t overlap the potato slices on the baking sheet. If you need to, cook them in two batches. If they overlap, they won’t get crispy all over.
- Slice the potatoes as evenly and thinly as possible. You might find that a mandolin works best and is super quick as well. If you cut them by hand, take your time and try and cut them into similar thicknesses so that they cook through evenly. A serrated knife can be a handy tool for this!
- Try different flavors! You can easily adapt these oven baked potato chips to suit your tastes, try chili powder, onion powder, za’tar, anything you have to hand! And be sure to try them with this french onion dip recipe!
Frequently asked questions
These baked potato chips will keep well in an airtight container at room temperature for around 3 days. Be sure to let them cool completely before storing, and keep them covered so that they stay nice and crispy.
Yes! Rather than deep frying the potatoes in lots of oil, we are able to use less meaning there’s lots less saturated fat. You can also control the seasonings and they don’t contain preservatives and additives to make them shelf stable.
It’s best not peel the potatoes to make these homemade chips. Just give them a good rinse under cold running water to remove any dirt. If you prefer, or if you have potatoes with very thick skins, you can peel them.
These homemade baked potato chips are so quick and easy to make, with just a few ingredients and they are so crunchy and flavorful. Perfect for a family friendly snack!
More potato side dish recipes:
- Mediterranean Potato Salad
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Healthy Mashed Potatoes
- Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes
- Hash Brown Egg Nests
- Rosemary Garlic Smashed Potatoes
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Oven Baked Potato Chips recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Oven Baked Potato Chips
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the potatoes into thin rounds using a sharp knife or a mandolin into 1/8” thickness. Use a paper towel to dry them really well.
- Transfer the potatoes to the baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil on top and season with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss with your hands to combine.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet so they are not overlapping. Bake until crispy, about 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.