This Chicken Fajita Pasta is such an easy flavorful 30 minute meal that the whole family will love! Delicious and creamy for a great well balanced dinner.
This chicken fajita pasta is a great 30 minute weeknight dinner that is so easy to make. This Mexican inspired pasta recipe is loaded with flavor and is high in protein. Made with simple ingredients, it’s a great recipe to add into your weekly meal rotation.
How do you make chicken fajita pasta
- Season the chicken strips with taco seasoning, and brown them in a skillet.
- Set the chicken aside and add in the veggies to the same skillet and season. Cook them until they are softened and lightly charred.
- Add in the tomatoes, chiles, sauce and milk and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and return the chicken to the skillet, heat through and serve.
Tips for making chicken fajita pasta
- Make sure to cook the pasta al dente. After cooking the pasta, you’ll transfer it to the skillet with the vegetables, sauce and chicken and toss to combine. You want to make sure the pasta doesn’t get too soft here.
- Cut the chicken into similar sized pieces so that it cooks evenly. This also helps to make sure you can fit a little of everything into every bite.
- Add in different veggies if you like. Mushrooms and cherry tomatoes both work well.
- Save the pasta water to use instead of milk. If you prefer to keep the recipe dairy-free, you can use pasta water to stir with the tomatoes and chiles instead of milk.
- Learn how to make your own marinara sauce – it’s so flavorful!
Frequently asked questions
This dish comes together so quickly and easily, so it’s a perfect recipe if you are short on time. If you have leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat the leftovers on the stovetop or microwave with a little added water.
This chicken fajita pasta isn’t an overly spicy dish, if you are sensitive to heat, just choose the taco seasoning you are using carefully. If you prefer your pasta on the spicy side, you can add in a chopped red chili when you cook the onions and peppers.
I like to use penne pasta for this recipe as it helps to collect all of that delicious sauce. If you like you can use whole wheat for a bit of added fiber. Other medium sized pasta like bows or shells will also work well.
Pasta is always a great option for an easy weeknight meal and I love the Mexican flavors in this dish. So easy to make for a great well balanced meal.
More pasta recipes
More Tex Mex recipes
- Tex Mex Breakfast Bowl
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Mexican Street Tacos
- Mexican Chopped Salad
- Chicken Taco Cups
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Chicken Fajita Pasta recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Chicken Fajita Pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2-3 bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4.5 oz can green chiles
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- Cut the chicken into thin strips. Season with 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning.
- In a large deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over mediumhigh heat. Transfer the seasoned chicken to the skillet and cook until chicken is browned, about 4-5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over and add the onions and bell peppers. Season with the remaining taco seasoning, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are slightly soften and become slightly charred.
- Keeping the vegetables in the skillet, add the diced tomatoes, green chiles, marinara sauce and milk. Mix together and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and add to the skillet along with the cooked chicken.
- Stir to combine until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve with grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
- To make it dairy-free, you can use past water in place of the milk to make the sauce.
- To make it gluten-free, you can use any gluten-free pasta of your choice.