This easy and quick veggie side dish is perfect to serve with so many meals! Just 5 minutes prep, these seasoned roasted cabbage steaks are full of flavor.
This easy oven roasted cabbage is deliciously seasoned and requires minimal prep for a simple and versatile side dish. Vegan and gluten-free, this veggie side is loaded with flavor and texture. You’ll never eat boring cabbage again!
These roasted cabbage steaks are one of my new go to side dishes. So simple and quick to prep and the results are out of this world! Seasoned with cumin, this is the only way you should prepare cabbage!
How do you roast cabbage
Cut the cabbage and place on a lined baking sheet. You can cut them into wedges, circles or semi circles, whatever is easier for you. I try to keep the stem on so that it helps them stay intact for flipping.
Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle over the seasonings. Use a brush to spread the oil and seasoning all over the cabbage.
Roast the cabbage in a pre heated oven. Flip them half way through cooking so you can get them nice and roasted on both sides. Roast until the edges are golden brown.
Tips for roasting cabbage
- Only use green cabbage in this recipes. Red cabbage can turn a funny blue color when roasted and not look very appetizing.
- Cut the cabbage into evenly sized 1 inch thick slices. This will help the slices to roast evenly. Cut the cabbage in half down the middle, from the top to bottom. Place the cut half on the chopping board and then cut into slices.
- Don’t use too big a cabbage. They can be too dense inside and steam rather than roast when placed in the oven. It’s better to choose two smaller cabbages than one large one.
- Keep the stem in tact when cutting the cabbage. This will make it easier to flip the cabbage when you’re roasting it so the leaves don’t fall apart.
Frequently asked questions
These cabbage steaks are such a versatile and delicious side dish, and work well with fish, meat, chicken and veggie dishes. They are pretty hands off during cooking so you can easily get on with the rest of the meal while they are in the oven. Try them with:
Pan Seared Chicken Thighs
Honey Lemon Salmon
Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie
Beef Stuffed Peppers
Leftover cabbage steaks will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week. To reheat them, place them into the oven at 350F for about 5 minutes. It’s best not to freeze the cabbage as the texture can change, although they would still taste great!
Yes! Well, in my opinion anyway! Boiling cabbage can make it taste really bland, and it’s also very easy to overcook it this way. Roasting is such an easy and hands off method and it’s a great way to bring out all of those wonderful natural flavors.
I just know you are all going to love these roasted cabbage steaks! Such an easy and versatile side dish that requires hardly any prep! Perfect!
More recipes with cabbage
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Roasted Cabbage recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then please come back to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
- 1 head cabbage sliced into wedges about 1-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped parsley for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cut cabbage on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper. Use a brush to spread the olive oil and seasoning evenly throughout.
- Roast in the preheated oven until the cabbage is tender and the edges are golden brown, about 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve warm with fresh parsley, if desired.