This Tomato Cabbage Soup is vegan, easy to make and low in calories. It's perfect for anyone dieting, cleansing or just looking for a light and health lunch
Remember the fad Cabbage Soup Diet? The essence of the diet was eating cabbage soup 2-3 time a day along with a lot of other fruits and vegetables and an allotted list of foods added each day, like brown rice and chicken. This Tomato Cabbage Soup recipe is inspired by that diet soup.
I created my version of the soup with this Tomato Cabbage Soup. Well, I never actually followed the diet, but I fell in love with the soup, so I still make it often!
Yes, the tomato cabbage soup is low in protein, low in complex carbs and low in fats, so it may leave you craving something more satisfying. But I think it works wonderfully as a soup for lunch or an appetizer at dinner when you want something light or want to detox after a weekend of heavy eating. But you need to make sure to get key nutrients in the other foods you eat through the day.
I really hate any diet that limits any food group, so I am not a proponent of the cabbage soup diet, but I am 100% proponent of my tomato cabbage soup.
For more vegetarian soup recipes:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Tomato Cabbage Soup recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories! It’s
Tomato Cabbage Soup
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed/minced
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 3 long carrots chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
- 15 ounce canned diced tomatoes with their juices
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 6 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 small white cabbage chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, celery and carrots and saute for a few minutes until fragrant and tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste, oregano and cayenne.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and the tomato paste and mix well with the other ingredients. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the cabbage and simmer for 20 minutes until cabbage softens.
- Taste the soup and adjust seasoning as needed.