Lebanese Crushed Lentil SoupJump To Recipe
- Serves: 6 servings
This classic Lebanese Crushed Lentil Soup is one of my all-time favorite soup recipes that I love to make all year long. It's made with red lentils, short-grain rice, onions, carrots, and cumin and topped with the tangy taste of freshly squeezed lemon juice - comforting, delicious and healthy!
- Author: Yumna Jawad
Lebanese Crushed Lentil Soup
I think I’m starting a reputation as the soup lady! I totally didn’t mean for it happen, but for some reason the soup recipes I make have been some of the most popular recipes on my blog. If you still haven’t tried my vegetarian lemon rice soup, this is my PSA that you need to start with that recipe, or make this Lebanese crushed lentil soup first and then head on over to that one…like asap people! The soups both have similar vibes:
- Easy to make
- Low in calories
- Use staple ingredients
- And completely utterly cozy and comforting!
This Lebanese crushed lentil soup is my go-to soup when it’s cold outside, I want something filling, something diet-friendly and something that my kids will eat without complaining. In fact, they do a little soup dance when I make this. And if you’ve eaten at Lebanese restaurants, you’ll see this as a staple soup on all menus. Some make it without carrots, others leave out the rice. I say throw in the carrots and the rice and go crazy with the lemon juice in the end!
I always make a big pot of this Lebanese crushed lentil soup and it’s on rotation at least once a month. So I make sure I have red lentils in my pantry all the time, and the rest of the ingredients are pretty standard. This soup is rich, comforting, delicious and is super healthy with clean, wholesome ingredients! Gahhhh…just make it already and let me know what you think!!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils yellow is fine
- 1/2 cup short grain white rice brown rice is fine
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth water is fine
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Juice of one lemon
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and sautee the onions until then soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, rice, cumin, salt and pepper, and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the carrots and the vegetable stock, turn the heat to low and cook for 30 minutes until the rice and lentils are fluffy and fully cooked. Make sure to stir several times while cooking to prevent any lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Using an immersion blender, pulse a few times to get the desired consistency.
- Add the green onions, parsley, lemon juice and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!