Chicken Lemon Orzo SoupJump To Recipe
- Serves: 6
A modern take on chicken noodle soup, this Chicken Lemon Orzo Soup is full of juicy chicken, heart-healthy vegetables and a delightful lemony broth!
- Author: Yumna Jawad
Chicken Lemon Orzo Soup
We all love the comfort of chicken noodle soup…it’s good for the soul, good for the tummy and all that jazz!
This Chicken Lemon Orzo Soup reminds me a lot of Chicken Noodle Soup. It has the three popular vegetables in most soups – onions, celery and carrots (aka mirepoix), it’s loaded with shredded juicy chicken, and filled with orzo pasta (that cool pasta that looks like rice but is actually pasta) – all in a fresh and lemony chicken broth.
Better than a spoonful of sugar to help you feel good!
If you’re a soup fan like I am and want to change things around this week, try this recipe and you’ll feel so much comfort and joy from this warm bowl of yumminess!
And if you still want Chicken Noodle Soup, I’ve got your covered with that recipe, and three other amazing similar recipes:
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2-3 small bay leaves
- 1 tbsp butter (or olive oil)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and finely sliced
- 3 celery stalks, small diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 3/4 cup orzo pasta
- Juice of 1-2 lemons, to taste
- Fresh parsley
- In a large pot or dutch oven, place the chicken thighs and about 8-10 cups of boiling water along with the bay leaf. I also like to add the leaves of the celery sticks and the outside layers of the peeled carrots to the broth. Bring the contents of the pot to a rolling boil, then lower the heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes.
- Drain the broth to remove the chicken, bay leaf, and celery leaves and carrots, if used, and set the broth aside.
- Shred the chicken meat with two forks or using your hands; and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the butter, add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste. Saute for a few minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot, then stir in the shredded chicken and the Orzo.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until Orzo is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and parsley and enjoy warm!