This Easy Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is my all-time favorite winter soup, made with simple ingredients and stocked with nutrients for the cold season!
It doesn’t get more cozy and comforting than soup in rainy weather (like today!) I really hate the colder season but I love all the soups that come with the season! I generally make soup all year round, but I go big in the winter because then my family craves it as well. This healthy and Easy Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is the best chicken noodle soup recipe I’ve ever made or had. And I get it from my mama!
What is in this healthy and easy chicken noodle soup recipe?
There are no surprise ingredients in this soup, and the whole process is just basically throwing everything in a pot. It’s made with onions, garlic, carrots, celery, chicken and vermicelli with some oregano and parsley. That’s pretty much it.
And I know you have all those ingredients on hand most days. The only surprise is the type of noodles I use. I grew up with my mom making this easy chicken noodle soup with vermicelli. And there’s just something very nostalgic and cozy about continuing to use vermicelli. If you don’t have vermicelli, you can break up angel hair pasta really small or use any other pasta of your choice, like egg noodles.
How to make this easy chicken noodle soup
Three essential vegetables that go into pretty much most of my soups and especially this easy chicken noodle soup are onions, carrots and celery. As you can see I keep the outer layers of the onions and carrots and the leaves of the celery. That’s what I use to make the broth.
The best thing about my chicken noodle soup? The homemade broth! I think it’s what makes this recipe so rich, nutritious and delicious. So that’s how I start my recipe. I put some chicken drumsticks in a deep stockpot. You can also use boneless chicken breast, but it comes out more juicy if you use boned chicken.
So those scrap vegetable parts I showed you earlier come into play here. I place them over the chicken and then add boiling water to the pot and cook it all together for 30 minutes.
Once the chicken is cooked through, I remove that and shred it when it’s cool enough to handle. And I strain the broth that I just made from scratch! Next it’s time to make the soup! So, if you decided to make the chicken broth beforehand, this would be your starting point. Mirepoix (onions, carrots and celery) goes in the pot with some garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
And then, I’ll return the broth, return the shredded chicken and add the noodles to the pot. A few minutes later, this easy chicken noodle soup is ready to for your tastebuds to enjoy!
Top tips for making this easy chicken noodle soup recipe
- Use organic chicken that is raised free of antibiotics.
- Finish the soup with fresh lemon juice and parsley for a fresh tasting soup.
- Serve with Olive Oil And Herbs Garlic Bread for a real comfort food treat!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this chicken noodle soup healthy?
A generous bowl of this soup comes in under 250 calories and is packed full of goodness. By making your own stock, you can control the amount of salt in the soup, and it really doesn’t take long to do. The vegetables and vitamins and nutrients to the dish for an extra hit of goodness.
What can I add to chicken noodle soup for flavor?
Some homemade chicken soups can really be lacking on flavor, but that is not the case with this recipe. Thanks to the homemade stock, you are getting great flavor into the dish from the beginning, then those flavors are added to in the form of dried herbs and garlic. Finish the soup with fresh lemon juice and parsley for a last hit of flavor.
Can you freeze chicken noodle soup?
This chicken soup freezes really well, so it’s great to batch cook it. It will also keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
For more soup recipes, check out:
I created this blog post first on December 7, 2017. I am updating it today to include improved new step-by-step images and a video tutorial! If you’re looking for a faster version of this recipe, the video tutorial below will be a huge help.
This soup will literally warm your soul, fill your tummy with happiness and give you a healthy dose of feelgood nutrition – promises made by yours truly!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feelgood Easy Chicken Noodle Soup recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 1/2 lb chicken drumsticks skinless
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large carrots halved lengthwise and finely diced
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 10-12 cups water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup vermicelli
- Parsley for serving
- Lemon juice for serving
- Place chicken drumsticks in a large deep pot, season with salt and pepper. Add outer layers of carrots and onions, in addition to celery leaves to the pot. Add 10-12 cups of water and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a medium-low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken drumsticks from the pot and set on a plate. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred chicken into bite-size pieces and discard bones
- Strain the broth through a large sieve or colander into a large bowl. Discard cooked vegetable layers. Quickly wipe the pot from any chicken residue.
- In the same pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are soft. Add oregano, salt and pepper and then chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Return shredded chicken to the pot. Add vermicelli and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in fresh parsley and lemon juice, if desired, and serve while hot.