This Spaghetti Squash Lasagna feeds your craving for lasagna without the pasta - it's a low carb, gluten-free and keto friendly recipe!
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna is one of my favorite Italian meals ever! Think of the flavor of lasagna in a low-carb, gluten-free, diet-friendly disposable hot bowl of cheesy goodness! There’s not much more to think about. If you haven’t tried spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti yet, this is a great way to start!
How to make spaghetti squash lasagna
Prepare the spaghetti squash
I start with one or two spaghetti squash. There’s enough sauce to make 4 servings, but you can make half the sauce or freeze the rest if you only want to cook one squash. I remove the seeds using a spoon. I usually just throw them away because I don’t have the patience to clean them out and roast them. But I have roasted them before, and they turn out great!
I transfer the spaghetti squash to a rimmed baking dish and fill the dish with enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Then I season the spaghetti squash with salt and pepper and flip it over. Flipping it over is essential because it allows the water from the pan to steam the squash and cook them perfectly!
This is what it looks like after baking in the oven for 45 minutes. This was a medium sized spaghetti squash. The larger ones will take up to an hour in the oven. You’ll know it’s done because it will feel tender when poked.
And this is the fun part! Honestly, it never gets old to tease apart the strands of the spaghetti squash. And now my kids join in on the fun too. When you pull it apart, it totally looks like spaghetti pasta. And I can’t get over that excitement hahaha!
Prepare the lasagna sauce
The lasagna part of these spaghetti squash lasagna boats comes in the sauce. It’s basically my classic lasagna sauce from my Homemade Lasagna recipe. We’ll layer it between tender strands of squash and shredded mozzarella cheese.
Assemble the spaghetti squash lasagna
I then maker 2-3 layers of the sauce, spaghetti squash and mozzarella cheese. If I’m in a hurry, I just throw all the sauce on top. Then I top it off with mozzarella cheese, that when broiled becomes melted, bubbly, golden mozzarella cheese.
If you’ve never tried spaghetti squash before, I urge you my foodie friends, to buy one this weekend at your grocery store, and try this Spaghetti Squash Lasagna recipe. This is a great way to experiment with spaghetti squash. And before you know it, you’ll be experimenting with so many more pasta alternative recipes that use squash!
Tips for cooking spaghetti squash
- Cook it in the microwave instead of the oven. The timing is between 8 and 10 minutes. Once it’s fork tender, transfer to a cooling rack to cool off for a few minutes.
For more low-carb recipes:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Spaghetti Squash Lasagna recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoon basil
- 2 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 ounce tomato paste
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parsley for serving if desired
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Season with salt and pepper, place cut side down in a baking dish with about 1 inch of water. Bake until fork tender, about 45 minutes.
- In a large deep saute pan, heat the olive oil. Add the beef and season with salt and pepper. Brown the meat and break it into smaller pieces with your spoon until cooked through.
- Add onions and garlic; and season with oregano and basil. Saute the vegetables for about 5 minutes until they soften. Then, add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix to combine, bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- When spaghetti squash is cool to the touch, use a fork to shred the inside of the squash, which will come out in strands that look like spaghetti.
- To assemble, remove half of the strands from each squash and set aside. Season the squash with salt and pepper, layer some of the lasagna sauce on top of the squash strands.
- Then add another layer of the strands previously removed, top with more lasagna sauce and finish with about 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place the stuffed squash back in the baking dish and broil in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve as is in the squash, topped with parsley if desired.