Stuffed peppers can be stuffed with just about anything! The classic way I like to make it is with just rice, onions and ground beef with a Lebanese tomato sauce. This Quinoa Stuffed Peppers recipe is a different way to make it that’s vegetarian and can be easily made vegan by omitting the mozzarella cheese on top, or using a vegan cheese of choice. It’s hearty, healthy and delicious!
You might be thinking these look really yummy, but what about the protein? Well there’s almost 20 grams of protein in each one of these Quinoa Stuffed Peppers! It’s all mostly coming from the quinoa, but also from the peas and the cheese. Totally filling, totally delicious and totally healthy!
What’s great about these quinoa stuffed peppers is that they’re versatile, great as leftovers and freeze really well.
Tips for cooking quinoa
- Rinse the quinoa. This is optional but it gets rid of the bitterness that sometimes comes with quinoa.
- Toast the quinoa. This is another option for a greater tasting quinoa which results in a more nutty flavor.
- Use oil or spray the pot with cooking spray before adding the quinoa. This reduces any foaming and prevents the quinoa from sticking to the pot.
- Add a pinch of salt to flavor the quinoa or use a bouillon cube to ensure that the quinoa is not bland.
More stuffed peppers recipes:
More vegetarian dinner recipes:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Quinoa Stuffed Peppers recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 3 red peppers cored (and tops diced to be used in mixture)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup corn kernels non GMO
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 3.5 oz organic tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 375 F degrees.
- Place cored red peppers in an oven-safe baking dish.
- In medium saucepan, heat olive oil, cook onions until translucent, then add diced red peppers & garlic cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cilantro, turmeric & ginger and mix well until cooked through. Remove about 2 tbsp of mixture and set aside for the sauce. Add corn, peas & cooked quinoa and mix well
- Spoon mixture into red peppers set in the baking dish, and top with cheese
- In the same saucepan used to cook the quinoa mixture, add the reserved onion mixture along with the tomato paste & 2 cups of boiling water. Bring to a boil, mixing frequently and then pour the sauce into the baking dish that contains the stuffed peppers.
- Bake the stuffed peppers in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and golden.
- Allow a few minutes to cool and then enjoy the stuffed peppers with the sauce from the dish.