This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These taco stuffed peppers have all the low carb vibes with all the taste of Taco Tuesday! Using bell peppers instead of tacos makes these a great dinner recipe that celebrates adding more vegetables to our meals. Check out my taco meat recipe below or make your own and top them with all the fun taco toppings!
Ingredients to make the recipe
- Bell peppers: This recipe will work well with any peppers you have. Green bell peppers have a slightly bitter flavor that works great with the taco stuffing.
- Oil: For cooking. You can use olive oil or any high heat oil, like canola or vegetable.
- Beef: Use lean ground beef for the taco filling so that it’s not too fatty and oily. You can substitute with ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Taco seasoning: Chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Tomato paste: This adds a nice rich tomato flavor to each bite and I dilute it with some water. But you can use tomato sauce instead.
How to make taco stuffed peppers
- Start by making the taco meat. Brown the ground beef on its own.
- Once it’s browned, drain the excess fat.
- Add the spices, tomato paste and water and cook until the sauce is reduced. This is similar to the go-to taco meat recipe used here.
- Cook until the sauce thickens and the beef is well coated with it.
- Then spoon the mixture into the crevice of the peppers. The meat mixture is enough for 8 halves, although only 4 are shown below.
- Top the taco meat with some shredded cheese and then pop it in the oven.
- You’ll know it’s done when the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Tips to make this recipe
- Cut the peppers in half lengthways, as seen in the photos, rather than just cutting the tops off. They are easier to fill this way and also cook quicker as the filling isn’t as thick.
- Use your favorite taco seasoning. Check out the homemade taco seasoning below, or use your favorite store bought one if you prefer. If you prefer spicier food, add in a little cayenne.
- Don’t skip pre-cooking the peppers. If you cook them with the stuffing right from raw, the peppers will be undercooked or the beef taco filling will be overcooked and dry.
- Don’t be shy with the toppings! Just like regular tacos, top it with anything you like! Shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, sour cream and some sliced jalapenos are great choices!
Frequently asked questions
These taco stuffed peppers can easily be made with ground chicken or turkey instead of beef if you prefer. To make these vegetarian or vegan, you can use some plant based ‘meat’ crumbles.
Yes, you can make a big batch of taco beef and freeze it for up to 6 months. Then, you just need to defrost it to use and it’s great in other dishes like beef tacos and taco salads.
Once cooked, the stuffed peppers will keep well in the fridge for 3 to 4 days, and can be reheated at 350F until warmed through to serve.
Stuffed bell peppers are perfect to serve as part of a weeknight meal with all your favorite sides. Rice, potatoes, veggies or a hearty salad are all great choices. Try them with:
Cauliflower Fried Rice
Quinoa Avocado Salad
Oven Roasted Carrots
Tomato Rice Pilaf
This recipe is low-carb, keto friendly and totally customizable to your taste with endless toppings! You can skip the tortilla some days if you prefer, but never skip Taco Tuesdays haha!!
More stuffed peppers recipes:
- Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- Stuffed Bell Peppers with Tuna
- Unstuffed Peppers
- Beef Stuffed Peppers
- Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Taco Stuffed Peppers recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 4 green bell peppers halved and cored
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup water
For serving the tacos
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Finely shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place the green pepper halves in an oven-safe baking dish and bake until the peppers soften, about 15 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Drain any fat.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper, tomato paste and water. Stir to combine and continue cooking over medium-low heat until the sauce has thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spoon the taco meat into the crevice of the four baked pepper halves and sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top. Return peppers to the oven until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Top with lettuce and salsa or any other taco toppings
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
I must make this!! Like…TODAY! I make your Greek-inspired stuffed peppers (with vegan ingredients) on repeat. So, these must happen. Although I want to do the eggplant lasagna too. Too many great recipes, not enough room in my belly! LOL
Yes!! Hope you find time to try them all!
It was so good!!! Also, my husband was sad I didn’t make more than just 4 peppers…we added all the toppings too after they were finished cooking and it tasted like a delicious, craving satisfied, taco salad 🙂
Definitely making it again soon!
Thank you! I definitely see the resemblance. Yay!!
Fun to make & full of flavor.