These healthy taco stuffed peppers are one of my favorite low-carb options for weeknight meals. They're easy to make with a modern twist on taco night.
For me in 2018, I’ve been trying to find ways to eat less carbs in the evening so I don’t go into food coma from carb overload. And these taco stuffed peppers are all about those low-carb vibes. You can make them however you normally make tacos, add any toppings you’d like but save on calories and carbs by using peppers that get nice and crisp in the oven.
Raise your hand if you’re still going strong with those diet goals of 2018! Well it doesn’t have to be all or nothing so don’t feel bad if you’ve slipped a little. After all, there was the Super Bowl and Valentine’s Day and that day that it was too cold to do anything but stay inside and eat. I’m with you all the way!
How to make taco stuffed peppers
First, cut the bell peppers lengthwise and remove the seeds and core.
Second, cook the ground beef with your favorite taco seasoning or see the spices I use below, and stuff the taco mixture into the peppers…hence taco stuff peppers 😉
Next, top it with some Mexican cheese and bake it in the oven until the peppers are crisp tender and the cheese is melted.
Finally, enjoy your taco stuffed peppers with your usual taco toppings. You can have two halves for only 100 calories total (well, that’s without the toppings). For simple healthy toppings, I like to add some lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole and sour cream (thinned out with some water). This recipe is low-carb, ketogenic friendly and totally customizable to your taste!
Taco Tuesday will never be the same again! Get excited! 🙂
More stuffed peppers recipes:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Taco Stuffed Peppers recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers cut in half and seeded
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend
- Chopped lettuce
- Chopped tomato
- Sliced jalapeños
- Black beans or pinto beans
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Avocado or guacamole
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the bell peppers, cut side up on a baking sheet pan and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the canola oil, and cook the onion until it softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and all the taco seasoning (chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and Mexican oregano) and cook until browned. Stir in the salsa.
- Spoon the taco mixture into the prepared bell peppers, filling them to the top. Top with cheese and bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and the peppers are crisp-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Top the peppers with toppings of choice and enjoy!