This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna is one of my favorite Italian meals ever! Think of the flavor of lasagna in a low-carb, gluten-free, diet-friendly disposable hot bowl of cheesy goodness! There’s not much more to think about. If you haven’t tried spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti yet, this is a great way to start!
- Spaghetti squash: Cut the spaghetti squash in half and roast it before adding the lasagna mix to the boats.
- Ground meat: You can use ground beef, turkey or chicken to stuff the spaghetti squash.
- Onion and garlic: To add flavor to the lasagna sauce.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, oregano and basil.
- Crushed tomatoes: canned tomatoes are a great short cut to make a flavorful pasta sauce quickly. Crushed gives you a smooth suace, though you coud use diced if you prefer a chunkier texture.
- Tomato paste: For a rich and flavor sauce.
- Shredded cheese: This is optional, but I love to finish of these spaghetti squash boats with a little mozzarella.
How to make spaghetti squash lasagna
Prepare the spaghetti squash
- I start with one or two spaghetti squash. There’s enough sauce to make 4 servings, but you can make half the sauce or freeze the rest if you only want to cook one squash. I remove the seeds using a spoon.
- Transfer the spaghetti squash to a rimmed baking dish and fill the dish with enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Season the spaghetti squash with salt and pepper.
- Flip the squash over and bake.
This is what it looks like after baking in the oven for 45 minutes. This was a medium sized spaghetti squash. The larger ones will take up to an hour in the oven. You’ll know it’s done because it will feel tender when poked.
- Tease apart the strands of the spaghetti squash with a fork. When you pull it apart, it totally looks like spaghetti pasta.
Prepare the lasagna sauce
The lasagna part of these spaghetti squash lasagna boats comes in the sauce. It’s basically my classic lasagna sauce from my Homemade Lasagna recipe. We’ll layer it between tender strands of squash and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Brown the ground beef and soften the onions and garlic.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer.
Assemble the spaghetti squash lasagna
- Maker 2-3 layers of the sauce, spaghetti squash and mozzarella cheese. If in a hurry, you can just throw all the sauce on top.
- Top it off with mozzarella cheese, that when broiled becomes melted, bubbly, golden mozzarella cheese.
Tips for making this recipe
- Cook it in the microwave instead of the oven. The timing is between 8 and 10 minutes. Once it’s fork tender, transfer to a cooling rack to cool off for a few minutes.
- Make sure to flip the spaghetti squash cut side down when you bake it. This traps the steam and cooks the spaghetti squash perfectly so that it’s nice and tender.
- Prick the skin of the spaghetti squash with a fork. This will allow the steam to gently escape so that the pressure doesn’t build up.
- Make it your own. It’s so easy to adapt this recipe to suit your tastes. Use different ground meat, or add extra veggies for a meat-free dish. You can use any store bought pasta sauce too.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make the lasagna sauce up to 3 days ahead of time and it’s freezer friendly too if you want to make a big batch.
Once made, any leftovers of this recipe will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days and can be reheated in the oven at 360F.
Spaghetti squash is pretty unique! It’s stringy texture is not like other members of the squash family, so you would have a hard time making this recipe with another variety. You could use zucchini noodles to replace the spaghetti like strands if you like.
This is great to serve with a side salad or side of simple veggies. Try it with:
Tomato Caprese Salad
Classic Greek Salad
Green Beans with Almonds
If you’ve never tried spaghetti squash before, I urge you my foodie friends, to buy one this weekend at your grocery store, and try this Spaghetti Squash Lasagna recipe. This is a great way to experiment with spaghetti squash. And before you know it, you’ll be experimenting with so many more pasta alternative recipes that use squash!
For more low-carb recipes:
More Lasagna Recipes
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Spaghetti Squash Lasagna recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic clove chopped
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoon basil
- 2 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 ounce tomato paste
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parsley for serving if desired
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Season with salt and pepper, place cut side down in a baking dish with about 1 inch of water. Bake until fork tender, about 45 minutes.
- In a large deep saute pan, heat the olive oil. Add the beef and season with salt and pepper. Brown the meat and break it into smaller pieces with your spoon until cooked through.
- Add onions and garlic; and season with oregano and basil. Saute the vegetables for about 5 minutes until they soften. Then, add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix to combine, bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- When spaghetti squash is cool to the touch, use a fork to shred the inside of the squash, which will come out in strands that look like spaghetti.
- To assemble, remove half of the strands from each squash and set aside. Season the squash with salt and pepper, layer some of the lasagna sauce on top of the squash strands.
- Then add another layer of the strands previously removed, top with more lasagna sauce and finish with about 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place the stuffed squash back in the baking dish and broil in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve as is in the squash, topped with parsley if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
Adding to my dinner rotation! So easy, delicious and healthy. I used ground chicken.
I love that! Thank you so much!
I loved this recipe. I couldn’t have spaghetti squash any other way .
Thank you! So glad you’re enjoying this!
Delicious and healthy! I will definitely be making this again. Thank you!
I’m so happy to hear that! Thank you, Jodi!
This was amazing! I made my own pasta sauce, but in combination with the squash and parsley, it was really tasty. And easy to make! Thanks for the inspiration 🤩
Love this! Great recipe and easy to follow steps! Made it so easy to cook!
So glad to hear that! Thank you!
This was delicious! I pulled up this recipe and got to work right away! It was so easy and good! My husband never had it before and he ate the entire thing!
So happy to hear that! Thank you!
This was delish! The sauce suggested is delicious, but the recipe would work fine with your own homemade sauce too. I personally microwave my spaghetti squash just because it’s quicker, then I put it in the oven to melt the cheese. Nonetheless however you get to the end result it’s delish and easy!
So glad you liked it! I agree it works with any sauce and it’s such a cozy meal!
Made this for the family! Cozy fall meal. Easy, delicious and the kids enjoyed it as well!
Yay, so glad to hear it!!
Just made your squash lasagna and loved it 🥰 tonight is your zucchini scampi
Yay! So glad to hear it! Thank you!
Love this recipe!!! So yummy 😋
Yay! I’m so glad to hear that! Thank you 🙂
Made your spaghetti squash lasagna last night ? it’s amazing!!
So glad to hear it. Thank you!!
I made these for the family, and they were a total hit! I have an 8 and 11 year old, who don’t really care for squash, but they were the first to finish every bite! Thank you @feelgoodfoodie for sharing this recipe!!
That’s so great to hear! Thanks so much for sharing. Glad everyone enjoyed it…even the non-squash eaters haha!
Love this healthy Feelgoodfoodie recipe.
I just made this last weekend for my family and everyone loved it. It comes out looking so appetizing. Just a question, would you recommend roasting the squash only before eating or can I make some ahead of time?
Awesome! Glad you liked it! I would recommend it’s best to roast the squash the same day so it doesn’t get soggy, but you can make the lasagna sauce the day before!