This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
One of my favorite simple lunches are cucumber sandwiches! So quick and easy to make with accessible ingredients, they are wonderfully refreshing and elegant enough to serve to company. Made with seasoned Greek yogurt, they are truly delightful!
How to make cucumber sandwiches
In a small bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, dill and black pepper.
- Lightly toast the bread.
- Spread the yogurt mixture over each slice.
- Lay the cucumber slices over the cream cheese.
- Close the sandwich, remove the crusts and cut into 4 squares.
Tips for making cucumber sandwiches
- Peel the cucumber before slicing it. The peel can be quite tough and rubbery, so it’s best to remove this for a softer bite that blends right into the cream cheese.
- Salt the cumbers if you are making these sandwiches ahead of time. Salting removes excess water. Sprinkle salt over the slices, let them rest for 20 minutes and then use kitchen paper to dab off excess salt and water.
- Don’t use thick bread slices for this recipe. I used whole wheat sandwich bread, but soft white sliced also works well.
Frequently asked questions
There’s no real reason why crusts are traditionally cut from cucumber and other tea sandwiches. The crusts do tend to hold a stronger flavor that can overpower the delicate cucumber, but you definitely won’t spoil the sandwich if you leave them on.
Because the bread slices are layered with the yogurt mixture, this provides a barrier between the bread and the watery cucumber so the bread stays nice and firm. As mentioned, you can salt your cucumber slices to remove excess water if you are making them ahead of time.
You can make these sandwiches up to 24 hours before you you plan to serve them. Once you have made the sandwiches, keep them in an airtight box and cover them with parchment paper to keep them fresh.
More sandwiches to try:
- Veggie and Hummus Sandwich
- Grilled Mozzarella Sandwich
- Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Avocado and White Bean Dip Sandwich
- Grilled Chicken Broccoli Wrap
- Pesto Chicken Avocado Panini
- Greek Yogurt Tuna Salad Sandwich
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Cucumber Sandwiches ecipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill minced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 1 small or ½ big cucumber thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, dill and black pepper.
- Lightly toast the bread. Spread the mixture on all of the bread slices. Lay the cucumber slices over the cream cheese mixture, and top with the remaining bread slices.
- Remove the crust, if desired, and cut each sandwich into four smaller squares. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 24 hours
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.