This delicious humus veggie sandwich is quick and easy to make and perfect for lunch on the go. Loaded with fresh vegetables, it's bold, vibrant and easily customizable.
If you are after a quick and tasty lunch, this veggie and hummus sandwich is sure to hit the spot! Loaded with lots of fresh ingredients, it’s a great recipe when you are short on time but want something yummy!
Ingredients to make a vegetarian hummus sandwich
There are so many variations of this sandwich possible that work really well. Below are my guidelines for building a yummy hummus sandwich.
- Hummus: I always have some of my homemade hummus in the fridge! Wonderfully seasoned, this chickpea dip makes a versatile spread for sandwiches that’s just as filling as it is tasty.
- Leafy greens: I like to add leafy greens into meals where I can, especially sandwiches. I used spinach for this sandwich, but arugula, cabbage, romaine lettuce, red lettuce and kale all work well.
- Cheese: I like using feta cheese for a Mediterranean flavor, but this would work really well with mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese.
- Cucumbers or tomatoes: They’re both rich in water content and add a freshness to the sandwich.
- Peppers: Whether you use spicy peppers, sweet bell peppers or pickled banana peppers, or a combination of the three, this really adds a nice flavor punch and wonderful crunch to the sandwich. Get my tips for how to cut bell peppers.
- Onions: I prefer to use red onions since they’re more mild than white or yellow onions in sandwiches. To make them more mild, you can soak them in ice water for 10 minutes.
- Olives: I like to add a few kalamata olives for a real pop of flavor. Black or green would also work well. Don’t forget to pit them 😉
How to layer a hummus sandwich
Spread the hummus in an even layer on each slice of bread.
Add the greens and the other veggies, apart from the cucumber. And add the seasoning.
Place the sliced cucumber on top and top with the remaining slice of bread.
Tips for making a hummus sandwich
- Don’t forget to toast your bread. Even if you just lightly toast it, it will help to hold the weight of the hummus on both pieces of bread along with all the vegetables and condiments.
- Make your own hummus! It’s so much more flavorful than store-bought and it will keep for about a week in the fridge.
- Be sure to wash and dry your veggies. Use a salad spinner or paper towel to remove any excess moisture or your bread can get soggy.
- Add the seasoning on or underneath the cucumber layer. Because cucumbers have a high water content, they’ll absorb the seasoning best and help balance the flavor in the sandwich.
Frequently asked questions
I like to use whole grain bread as it has a slightly nutty flavor that works really well with the hummus. This is also great served on a baguette or rolled up in a wrap.
These sandwiches are best enjoyed as soon as they are made. They are also great for lunchboxes, make them in the morning, wrap them in plastic wrap and store in the fridge when you can. I wouldn’t make them more than a day ahead of time.
More healthy sandwiches and wraps
- Grilled Mozzarella Sandwich
- Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Avocado and White Bean Dip Sandwich
- Grilled Chicken Broccoli Wrap
- Pesto Chicken Avocado Panini
- Greek Yogurt Tuna Salad Sandwich
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Veggie and Hummus Sandwich recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Hummus Veggie Sandwich
- 4 slices whole grain bread toasted
- ½ cup hummus
- ½ cup baby spinach
- Few slices red onion
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- ½ English cucumber sliced
- Few slices red peppers
- ¼ cup banana peppers
- ¼ cup pitted kalamata olives
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spread the hummus over the bread slices. Carefully stack the sandwich ingredients over two of the slices, season with the dried oregano and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top with the remaining slices. Cut each sandwich in half, if desired. Serve immediately.