This Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese Sandwich is the ultimate sandwich made with two kinds of cheese, oven-roasted veggies & golden buttery sourdough bread
This blog post is sponsored by Roth Cheese, although the content represents my own personal opinion/experience. ?
I love how there’s a holiday for most popular foods nowadays. And I think that’s a fabulous thing! Today is National Grilled Cheese Day, and there’s one easy clear way to celebrate. I’m upgrading my classic grilled cheese with this roasted vegetable grilled cheese sandwich – made with two kinds of cheese! It is a celebration after all 😉
Best cheese to use
Two words: flavorful and melty! So that means there are lots of options to choose from and so many combinations that will taste great. For classic grilled cheese, go with American cheese. But for more of an adult grilled cheese, which is kinda what we’re going for here, I recommend combining two types of cheese – one that has the bigger flavor profile and another with a milder sweeter taste.
First, I use Dill Havarti, which is a semi-hard cheese that has a mild and sweet flavor. It’s perfect for grilled cheese because of how beautifully it melts and the dill pairs so well with roasted vegetables to give it a spring flavor!
Second, I use Gouda cheese, which is another semi-hard cheese with a sweet and buttery taste. I love using Gouda cheese in grilled cheese sandwiches because it’s subtle in taste but melts very well.
Both types of cheese are Roth. The brand is known for its high quality and amazing flavor! The milk used to make the cheese is all sourced from local family farms within 60 miles of their creameries. And their cheeses are all natural, rBST-free and all flavorful! Whatever brand you pick, make sure it’s made with high quality ingredients to give you the best results.
Best bread for grilled cheese
For this adult grilled cheese, think beyond sliced white bread. You want to look for something thick, crusty and sturdy. Some options are sourdough bread, multi-grain or ciabatta. I use sourdough in this case to make my grilled cheese sandwich.
How to make a grilled cheese sandwich
These are the ingredients I start with:
- Thick sourdough bread
- Two types of cheese
- Any vegetables
For this roasted vegetable grilled cheese sandwich, I spray the vegetables with a touch of olive oil and sprinkle some dried dill along with salt and pepper. Then I roast them in the oven to allow the veggies to soften slightly.
Now it’s time to build the sandwich. And my advice is to build it right in the pan at medium-low or low heat. Start with the bread buttered side down. Add one type of cheese, then add the roasted vegetables.
Add another type of cheese, followed by the second piece of bread, buttered side up.
You want to cook it low and slow so that the cheese melts without the bread burning. Once the cheese starts to melt, flip the sandwich and cook until fully melted.
Golden crust on the outside and oozy melted cheese on the inside!!
Tips for how to make the best grilled cheese
- Don’t use too much cheese. That seems like bad advice for a grilled cheese sandwich. But honestly, I’ve made the mistake of using too much cheese. What ends up happening is fried cheese on the pan. That’s yummy, don’t get me wrong, but we want to contain the cheese in the sandwich. Aim for 1 – 2 ounces of cheese for a sandwich depending on how thick the bread is.
- Use medium-low or low heat to melt the cheese without burning the bread. It takes some patience, but that’s how you make sure the cheese melts enough to give you the best sandwich.
- Flip when the cheese starts to melt. You want to watch the cheese slowly for first signs of melting. And when that happens, flip over the sandwich to completely melt the cheese. It should take 4-6 minutes per side.
- Press gently with a spatula while the grilled cheese sandwich is cooking. This helps to evenly cook the bread and helps melt the cheese more evenly as well.
This is a hearty filling sandwich oozing with melting cheese goodness. It’s a perfectly melty-crisp grilled cheese sandwich that you can customize with different vegetables, different cheese and seasoning. Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day with this delicious, decadent and yet super simple recipe!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
More sandwich recipes:
Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss the vegetables with olive oil spray and dill and season with salt and pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes, until vegetables are slightly tender.
- Brush the melted butter on one side of the bread slices.
- In a large cast iron skillet or electric griddle over medium low heat, place one slice of bread on the skillet, buttered side down. Add half the Dill Havarti cheese on top of the bread, then layer with half the roasted vegetables, followed by half the Gouda cheese. Top with a bread slice, buttered side up.
- Cook grilled cheese sandwich until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 4-6 minutes on each side. Repeat for the second sandwich.