This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Quick and easy to make and perfect for a light and healthy lunch, this vegetarian avocado sandwich is far from dull. Made with creamy feta and crunchy salad ingredients, this is the perfect bite when you are short on time.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Avocado: Avocado makes for a perfect healthy sandwich spread. Use a ripe avocado that is easy to mash with a fork.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Lemon juice: Use fresh lemon juice rather than bottled for the best flavor. The lemon flavors add a burst of freshness and the acid cuts through the creamy avocado.
- Bread: Any type of bread works great for this vegetarian sandwich. You can also make these with tortillas for easy to eat wraps.
- Feta cheese: This Greek cheese is creamy and briny and adds a great flavor. You can also use goat cheese.
- Salad ingredients: Tomato, cucumber, red onion, alfalfa sprouts and arugula.
- Mustard: Dijon mustard adds a great tangy flavor, for a milder taste, you can use wholegrain or yellow mustard.
How to make avocado sandwich
- Mash the avocado with the seasonings and spread on one piece of the bread.
- Top the avocado with the feta, cucumber, tomato and red onion.
- Top with the sprouts and arugula.
- Spread the other slice of bread with the mustard and close the sandwich.
Tips for making the sandwich
- Use a sturdy bread type. Make sure the bread is thick and not airy so that it can hold all the contents of the avocado sandwich.
- Spread the avocado and mustard to the edges of the bread. This will ensure that you don’t have dry pieces of bread that are a bit boring to eat!
- Use the freshest and best quality ingredients you can. This is a simple sandwich, so using good quality ingredients makes all the difference. At the very least, your avocado should be ripe so that you can mash it smoothly.
- Toast the bread. Lightly toasted bread will add more texture and flavor to each bite, as well as making it more sturdy to hold all of your ingredients in place.
Frequently asked questions
This vegetarian avocado sandwich is best enjoyed soon after it is made so that it is nice and fresh, though you could make one in the morning, then keep it chilled and wrapped in the fridge to enjoy for a quick lunch, or add to lunch boxes. It’s best not to leave it for longer than 24 hours as the bread can start to get soggy.
This sandwich is vegetarian, but it contains feta, so is not plant based. To make this sandwich vegan, simply omit the feta, or swap it for a dairy-free cheese.
We love this sandwich just as it is, but you can easily mix up the salad ingredients to make it to your taste, bibb lettuce or scallions would work great. You can also make it heartier by adding some boiled eggs or egg salad, or try it with a layer of hummus. If you have leftover cooked shredded chicken, then that also makes a delicious addition.
This vegetarian avocado sandwich makes for a tasty, fresh and quick bite that is full of goodness. It take minutes to make and will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
More sandwiches to try:
- Veggie and Hummus Sandwich
- Avocado White Bean Sandwich
- Grilled Mozzarella Sandwich
- Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Vegetarian Avocado Sandwich recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Vegetarian Avocado Sandwich
- ½ ripe avocado
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ lemon juiced
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 slices sandwich bread toasted
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 3-4 thin tomato slices about ½ medium vine tomato
- 7-8 thin cucumber slices about ¼ medium English cucumber
- ⅛ medium red onion thinly sliced (or 7-8 pickled onion slices)
- 2 tablespoons alfalfa sprouts
- 2 tablespoons fresh arugula
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a small bowl, mash avocado with garlic powder, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- On one slice of bread, spread avocado mixture. Top with feta, tomato slices, cucumber slices, red onion, sprouts, and arugula.
- One other slice of bread, spread Dijon and place this slice, Dijon-side down, onto the sandwich. Slice in half and serve immediately.