These gluten-free cucumber sushi rolls are so easy to make and they are such a colorful and pretty appetizer. Filled with fresh veggies and a seasoned cream cheese.
If you loved my Cucumber Sushi, this Cucumber Sushi Roll recipe is pretty similar but restructured. Instead of stuffing the ingredients in rounds of cucumber, I make long ribbons of cucumber and roll the ingredients up. This is such a pretty appetizer that’s perfect to serve to company!
What ingredients do you need to make cucumber sushi rolls?
- Cucumbers: You want to look for large English cucumbers or American cucumbers that will yield the widest slices when shaved.
- Veggies: I like to use carrots, peppers and avocado that are sliced into long thin strips. They add great color and texture to each bite.
- Seafood: This is optional, but smoked salmon works really well with this, as does cooked crab (or imitation crab) or cooked shrimp.
- Sauce: The sauce is a mixture of cream cheese, sriracha and garlic powder. The creaminess works so well with the fresh veggies and the sriracha adds just the right amount of heat. Stir the ingredients together until combined and smooth.
How do you make cucumber sushi rolls
Trims the ends off of the cucumbers and use a vegetable peeler to peel them into long strips. You can keep the peel on or remove it if you’d like. I prefer to keep it on since it adds a nice color and doesn’t affect the taste.
Spread the cream cheese mixture along the length of each cucumber slice. Place the smoked salmon and cut veggies on top. Then, roll the cucumbers together tightly until you reach the end. You can sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve.
Tips for making cucumber sushi rolls
- Use long and wide cucumbers for this recipe. They will be easier to roll and will be more sturdy to serve as compared to smaller varieties like Persian cucumbers
- Use the freshest ingredients. These rolls are all about the fresh veggies! Use ripe avocados and bell peppers that still have their crunch.
- Make sure not to over stuff the rolls. You want to limit the amount of veggies and seafood in each roll and only place ingredients on half the length of the cucumbers so they stay together.
- Double up the cucumber rolls. Depending on the peeler you have and how much you’re stuffing the cucumbers, it may help to double up on the rolls. I found that a standard peeler produced very thin slices that weren’t sturdy enough so I recommend doubling up.
Frequently asked questions
These cucumber sushi rolls can be made up to two days ahead of time, although I prefer to serve them within a few hours so that everything is as fresh as it can be. Keep the cucumber rolls refrigerated and covered until you are ready to serve them.
The cream cheese is mixed with a small amount of sriracha, but this is more for flavor than heat. They are not overly spicy at all. If you are sensitive to spicy foods, you can omit the sriracha if you like.
These cute cucumber sushi rolls are so easy and fun to make and I love how they look when served. They are great for showers and serving to guests as a colorful appetizer.
More recipes with cucumbers:
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Cucumber Sushi Roll recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then please come back to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Cucumber Sushi Rolls
- 2 large English cucumbers
- 4 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 2 carrot sticks cut into matchsticks
- 1 red pepper cut into matchsticks
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Trim the ends off the cucumbers, then use a vegetable peeler to slice the cucumber into thin flat strips. Continue until you reach the center of the cucumbers. Then flip it over and repeate. You can discard the first skin peel.
- In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese with the sriracha and ginger powder and stir until well combined and smooth.
- To assemble the rolls, lay the cucumber slices down, spread the cream cheeses mixture on top. Then place the smoked salmon, carrot sticks, red pepper sticks and avocado slices on the top half of the cucumber slice. Starting from the top half, carefully roll the cucumber slices tightly.
- Place them upright on a plate and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top, if desired.