These simple to make healthy zucchini bread muffins are a delicious treat the whole family will love. Perfectly fluffy and quick to make in one bowl.
Sneak some veggies into your treats with these delicious zucchini bread muffins. This simple recipe is a great healthy alternative to store-bought breakfast muffins, and they are wonderfully moist and fluffy. These will disappear in no time at all! Perfect for breakfast or a mid afternoon snack.
How to make zucchini bread muffins
- Place the olive oil, honey and yogurt in a bowl.
- Whisk together until combined and smooth.
- Add the eggs and lemon zests and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in shredded zucchini (there’s no need to squeeze water out of them) and chopped walnuts.
- Add the dry ingredients. It’s a good idea to mix those together separate in a bowl.
- Mix until the dry ingredients are incorporated but the mixture still has a few lumps.
Place the batter into a prepared muffin tin and bake. I like to line the muffin tin with parchment paper cups for the best results.
Tips for making zucchini bread muffins
- Use chocolate chips instead of chopped walnuts. That will make them sweeter and more kid-friendly. You could also consider using a mixture of both. However, do not add more than 2/3 cup total of additions.
- Don’t let the mixture sit in the muffin tins for too long after mixing. That makes the zucchini release too much moisture. Also, the baking soda starts working as soon as you add it and you want that rising action to happen in the oven.
- Use parchment paper muffin liners. It will help bake them evenly, and easily be removed from the muffin tray. Makes it a breeze to clean up afterwards.
- Enjoy these the same day you make them. The texture and taste are so much better the first day. But you can store in an airtight container in the fridge overnight if needed. Reheat in the oven before serving for best results.
Frequently asked questions
I don’t peel the zucchini before grating it. If your kids are going through the phase of not liking green foods, you can remove the skin.
The water that the zucchini holds makes the muffins wonderfully moist so there is no need to squeeze the zucchini once you grate it.
Yes, these muffins are easily frozen. It’s best to freeze them solid on a baking sheet before transferring them to a freezer bag or safe container. They will keep well for up to 3 months.
The muffins can be thawed at room temperature or you can microwave the frozen muffins in 20 second increments until they are warmed through.
For more muffin recipes:
- Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
- Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chai Spiced Vegan Muffins
- Sweet Potato Muffins
- Blueberry Banana Muffins
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Zucchini Bread Muffins recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Zucchini Bread Muffins
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups shredded zucchini about one large zucchini
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a standard muffin pan with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, honey and yogurt. Add eggs and lemon zests, whisking until smooth. Stir in shredded zucchini and chopped walnuts.
- Gently fold in flour, salt, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix until mostly incorporated – a few lumps are ok. Do not over mix.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins. They can be filled to about ½” from top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in one of the center muffins comes out clean or with just a couple small crumbs. Allow to cool in pan for at least 15 minutes before serving.
The muffins can be thawed at room temperature or you can microwave the frozen muffins in 20 second increments until they are warmed through. Nutrition: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients you use. The nutrition label is for 1 muffin.