Breakfast is about to get tastier – chocolate chip banana muffins are low in calories and will give you energy for the day ahead. Made in one bowl, these muffins are easy to make and perfect for a healthy grab and go breakfast.
When you find a muffin recipe that’s 175 calories a piece and can be made in one bowl in half an hour, you hold on for dear life to that muffin recipe. So, let me tell you how I really feel about these Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins haha! This is my go-to recipe when I have ripe bananas…sometimes I make it single chocolate and sometimes I go for the double, baby!
What are healthy breakfast muffins?
These are the type of muffins you can easily have for breakfast without the guilt because they have essential breakfast items:
- Bananas ✔
- Whole grains ✔
- Greek yogurt ✔
- Egg ✔
I mean, it totally sounds like breakfast to me! And then we add the cocoa powder and the chocolate chips; and magic happens in your oven. Healthy, moist and delicious Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins that you can have for breakfast, snack or dessert!
How to make chocolate chip banana breakfast muffins
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a muffin tin with muffin liners.
In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients together until well combined: ripe bananas, honey, vanilla, egg, oil and greek yogurt.
Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients in the same bowl: whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined, without over-mixing.Fold in half of the chocolate chips.
Then, pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins, and top the muffins with the remaining chocolate chips.
Bake for 23-27 minutes or until toothpick comes our clean.
Top tips to make chocolate chip banana breakfast muffins
- Do not substitute regular yogurt for the Greek yogurt. Regular yogurt has a thinner consistency and less protein than Greek Yogurt. So it won’t yield the same moist and tender results as using Greek yogurt.
- Your bananas should be ripe for maximum flavor.
- Bake the muffins in a pre-heated oven for the best results.
- Check if the muffins are done by inserting a toothpick into the center of one – if it comes out clean your muffins are ready.
Frequently asked questions
How long do these muffins keep?
If stored in an airtight container, these banana breakfast muffins will keep well for one to two days, but if you keep them in the fridge they will last for up to a week. This makes them perfect for breakfast meal prep!
Can you freeze chocolate chip banana breakfast muffins?
These muffins freeze really well! Let them cool completely after baking and then wrap securely in foil, plastic wrap or place in freezer bags. The muffins can be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost the muffins at room temperature.
Is a muffin healthy for breakfast?
Not all muffins are made equally, a lot have a tonne of added sugar on them so may not be the wisest choice. However, these banana breakfast muffins have no added refined sugar and are low in fat so they are a great way to start your day!
I hope you enjoy these grab and go banana breakfast muffins as much as my family do! It’s so easy to whip up a batch to last you throughout the week!
For more muffin recipes, check out:
- Sweet Potato Muffins
- Chai Spiced Vegan Muffins
- Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Cranberry Lemon Muffins
- Kid Friendly Muffins
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 3 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil can sub butter
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt preferably 2%
- 1 cup whole wheat white flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients together until well combined: ripe bananas, honey, vanilla, egg, oil and greek yogurt.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients in the same bowl: whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined, without over-mixing.Fold in half of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins, and top the muffins with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 23-27 minutes or until toothpick comes our clean.