These Chocolate Banana Muffins are easy to whip up in one bowl and made healthy with Greek yogurt and whole grains - perfect for breakfast!
Breakfast is about to get tastier – chocolate chip banana muffins are low in calories and will give you energy for the day ahead. Made in one bowl, these muffins are easy to make and perfect for a healthy grab-and-go breakfast.
Ingredients to make the muffins
These are the type of muffins you can easily have for breakfast without the heavy feeling because they have essential breakfast items:
- Bananas: Use ripe bananas that are naturally sweeter and higher in antioxidants.
- Flour: Use whole wheat white flour to get a good helping of whole grains.
- Greek yogurt: I prefer to use 2% Greek yogurt because it has more fat and moisture than non fat Greek yogurt, which lends to more moisture in the muffins.
- Egg: To help bind the ingredients together and a good source of protein and vitamin D.
- Honey: Used to naturally sweeten the muffins. You can also use maple syrup or cane sugar.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil helps to make these muffins perfectly moist as well as adding a little flavor. You can use vegetable oil or butter if you don’t have coconut oil.
- Baking soda: To achieve perfectly soft and fluffy muffins.
- Vanilla extract and salt: For sweetness and flavor.
- Cocoa powder and chocolate chip: For that yummy chocolate fix!
How to make chocolate chip banana breakfast muffins
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients on top of the bananas.
- Mix the wet ingredients together until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the same bowl. You can whisk them together in a separate small bowl first if you’d like, but it’s not necessary.
- Mix until the batter is well combined, but not over-mixed.
- Fold in half of the chocolate chips.
Transfer the batter to a muffin tin lined with parchment paper and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top. They they’re ready for the oven!
Tips to make chocolate chip banana breakfast muffins
- Do not substitute regular yogurt for the Greek yogurt. Regular yogurt has a thinner consistency and less protein than Greek Yogurt. So it won’t yield the same moist and tender results as using Greek yogurt. I also prefer 2% Greek yogurt.
- Use ripe bananas for maximum flavor. It also makes it easier to mix the batter using a simple whisk or even fork.
- Use an ice cream scooper for easy measuring. I find it’s easy to scoop this way, and the muffins end up being uniform in shape and size.
- Use a large glass measuring cup to make the muffin batter. If you have one large enough to hold all the ingredients, it makes it easier to pour them into the muffin tin.
Frequently asked questions
If stored in an airtight container, these chocolate banana muffins will keep well for one to two days, but if you keep them in the fridge they will last for up to a week. This makes them perfect for breakfast meal prep!
These muffins freeze really well! Let them cool completely after baking and then wrap securely in foil, plastic wrap or place in freezer bags. The muffins can be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost the muffins at room temperature.
Not all muffins are made equally, a lot have a tonne of added sugar in them so may not be the wisest choice. However, these banana breakfast muffins have no added refined sugar and are low in fat so they are a great way to start your day!
These are healthy, moist and delicious Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins that you can have for breakfast, snack or dessert! I hope you enjoy these grab and go muffins as much as my family does! It’s easy to whip up a batch to last you throughout the week!
For more muffin recipes, check out:
- Sweet Potato Muffins
- Chai Spiced Vegan Muffins
- Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Cranberry Lemon Muffins
- Kid Friendly Muffins
- Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 3 medium ripe bananas mashed
- ½ cup plain 2% greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat white flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients together until well combined: ripe bananas, honey, vanilla, egg, oil and greek yogurt.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients in the same bowl: whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined, without over-mixing.Fold in half of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins, and top the muffins with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 23-27 minutes or until toothpick comes our clean.
- I tested this recipe with a whole wheat white flour, but it will work with other all purpose flours.
- To make this gluten-free, use an all-purpose gluten-free flour mix. Do not substitute only almond flour or only coconut flour.
- You can replace honey with cane sugar.
- You can replace the coconut oil with vegetable oil or butter.