This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These healthy vegan blueberry banana muffins are simple to make and 165 calories each. They can be made with fresh or frozen blueberries and are kid friendly. Perfect for a make ahead breakfast, dessert or mid morning snack they are made with no refined sugar.
The blueberries in Michigan have been insane this summer. I mean look at this color. I have just been eating them by the fistfuls, throwing them in salads and smoothies. Now’s the perfect time to use up those blueberries! This week, they were the star ingredient of my Blueberry Banana Muffins.
So, who would enjoy these healthy blueberry banana muffins?
- Vegans – yes, the recipe is absolutely 100% vegan!
- Anyone who loves a hearty healthy muffin for breakfast
- Those avoiding refined sugar – I used organic cane sugar here
- Those who love the sweet taste of blueberries and bananas together!
That just about covers a lot of you right? Yes! These blueberry banana muffins are hearty (but only 165 calories each!), healthy (because of my easy swaps) and so delicious (hello bursting blueberries!). They stay great in the fridge for up to 7 days, so you can make a batch or two and grab them on your way out in the morning.
How to Make Blueberry Banana Muffins
As a newbie baker, I love making breads and muffins because they are so forgiving. This recipe is no exception.
I start with about 4 medium ripe bananas and mash them really well. Then I throw in the remaining wet ingredients. I’m using ground flaxseed in place of eggs and it works as a great binder (plus more fiber!).
This is what the batter will look like when all the wet ingredients are mixed. And then on the right, this is the final batter when the wet and dry ingredients are mixed.
Then I throw in my star ingredient – blueberries!
And into the muffin tin it goes. I’ve been using parchment paper muffin liners for the past couple years and they are such a breeze to clean. The batter never sticks to them and the tray stays pretty clean.
The final outcome is a moist, delicious, family-friendly blueberry banana muffins recipe. They’re an amazing option for breakfast (mmm with coffee) and an even better anytime snack!
Top tips to make healthy Blueberry and Banana Muffins
- You can use fresh or frozen blueberries in this recipe. If you are using frozen then thaw them first.
- Coat the blueberries in flour before adding them to the mixture so that they don’t sink to the bottom of your muffins.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients separately for the best muffins.
- Bake the cookies in a pre heated oven.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do baked blueberry banana muffins keep?
You can store the muffins in an airtight container in the fridge, and they will last for about 7 days. You can also freeze the muffins for up to 3 months. Microwave a frozen muffin for 30 seconds in the microwave to eat it.
Is this recipe gluten free?
To make this recipe gluten-free, you can use most gluten-free flour mixes that are suitable for baking, or substitute brown or white rice flour at a 1:1 ration. Do not substitute only almond flour or coconut flour for the flour.
Can you have muffins for breakfast?
These muffins are a great option for breakfast if you are on the go! It’s a great idea to make a batch on the weekend and you can easily grab them on busy mornings throughout the week. They are great to pop in a lunch bow to take to work or school as well.
For more muffins recipes, check out:
- Chai Spiced Vegan Muffins
- Sweet Potato Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Cranberry Lemon Muffins
- Kid Friendly Muffins
- Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
I’ll be enjoying the last of these blueberries and my favorite other summer produce. I might just make these for a 5th time this month!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Blueberry Banana Muffins recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Blueberry Banana Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cane sugar
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cups mashed very ripe banana about 4 medium
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- ⅓ cup coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup blueberries fresh or frozen and fully thawed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients, including the flour, sugar, rolled oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix the wet ingredients, including the banana, almond milk, coconut oil, ground flaxseed, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Rest for 5 minutes to allow the flaxseed to absorb the liquid.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to mix until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Fold in the blueberries. You can coat them in flour before adding to ensure that they don’t sink to the bottom of the muffin tin.
- Fill each muffin cup to the top with the batter.
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffins on a cooling rack for 15 minutes and then enjoy!