This easy Kid Friendly Muffins recipe is perfect for grab-and-go breakfast. They are filled with wholesome ingredients that make for a nutritious treat any time!
These kid friendly muffins can be made sweet or savory and are so quick and easy to make. These healthy muffins for kids are made with organic and nutritious ingredients, and it’s not just the kids who love them! Easily made dairy-free and vegan. Great for a grab and go breakfast or lunch.
This blog post is sponsored by Horizon Organic. As always, all opinions are my own 🙂
We’ve been back to school for a couple weeks now in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and finally back to the swing or things! Err…kinda…
As smooth as things seem, the mornings are still stressful for us sometimes. We never seem to wake up early enough. We always seem to be missing an important article of clothing. And breakfast tends to be grab-and-go. I’ve come to face it that if we need to be out the door by 7:42am, there’s nothing wrong with grab-and-go breakfast! Enter these Kid Friendly Muffins!
Healthy Muffins For Kids
So I’ve been testing different Kid Friendly Muffins ideas for back-to-school, and this recipe is just perfect! It’s easy to make, uses everyday ingredients and has a simple taste that you can build on with any add-ins. They’re made with wholesome organic ingredients including Horizon Organic 2% milk, Horizon Organic Egg, organic applesauce instead of oil, organic whole wheat flour and a tad bit of sugar for sweetness. I prefer using organic everything, especially milk! Why? Organic milk means it’s non-GMO, no antibiotics used, no toxic pesticides, no growth hormones – all resulting in a healthier ingredient that my kids drink daily!
How to make kid friendly muffins
To get started, I mix the wet ingredients first.
And then the dry ingredients.
I combine the two together.
I add the toppings. In one muffin tin I decided to do half sweet and half savory.
On one side, I used peanut butter and jelly. On the other side I used broccoli and cheese.
And the end result is a moist, healthy, wholesome kid friendly muffins recipe that is absolutely perfect for back to school!
Other Optional Add-Ins
For my add-ins I used peanut butter and jelly for a sweet variation and broccoli and cheese for a savory variation. There are endless ideas though so have your kids pick a combo they like, and here are some ideas to get you going!
- Chocolate chips and raisins
- Walnuts and cranberries
- Blueberries and lemon zest
- Spinach and corn
- Zucchini and cheese
- Carrots and raisins
Top tips to make these kid friendly muffins
- To make dairy-free: Instead of milk, you can dairy-free milk of choice.
- To make vegan: Instead of eggs, you can use flax egg.
- Bake the muffins in a pre-heated oven for the best results.
- Use organic ingredients wherever possible for the healthiest muffins.
Frequently asked questions
How do you know when the muffins are done?
The muffins will take around 20 minutes to bake, but start checking them a couple of minutes before the time is up as some ovens can run hotter. Insert a toothpick into the center of the muffin, if it comes out clean, your muffins are done!
How long do the muffins last?
Once the muffins have cooled to room temperature, transfer them to an airtight container and either keep them in the fridge or at room temperature, and they will keep for 5 days. You can also freeze the muffins and let the thaw at room temperature.
Why are these muffins healthy?
These muffins are made with organic ingredients, which means they are less processed with no GMOs. One muffin is around 150 calories and they are low in fat, so they are perfect for a quick and easy breakfast, as part of a lunch or as a mid afternoon snack.
For more kid friendly muffins:
Thank you Horizon Organic for sponsoring this blog post!
Make a batch of these muffins and I promise you, your mornings will get that little bit easier! They are so quick and easy to make and my kids adore them!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Kid Friendly Muffins recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Kid Friendly Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups Horizon Organic 2% milk
- 1/2 cup organic applesauce
- 1 Horizon Organic egg
For the sweet muffins
- 1-2 Tbsp organic peanut butter
- 1-2 Tbsp organic strawberry jam
For the savory muffins
- 1-2 Tbsp organic grated broccoli
- 1-2 Tbsp Horizon Organic shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients, including the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together; set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix the wet ingredients, including the milk, applesauce and egg.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to mix until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Fill each muffin cup halfway using up half the batter. Divide the peanut butter and jelly to half the muffins, then add the broccoli and cheese to the other half muffins. Pour the remaining batter over the mix-ins.
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days
- Instead of peanut butter, you can use any other nut butter or allergy-free butter, like sunflower butter
- Instead of milk, you can dairy-free milk of choice
- Instead of eggs, you can use flax egg
- Nutrition: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients you use. This information should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.