This recipe was sponsored by Laird Superfood, with an assortment of non-gmo organic products like the yummy coconut sugar that I used in this recipe, which are full of minerals and nutrients to sustain your energy! As always, all opinions are my own 🙂
Ramadan Mubarek to all Muslims in the world who are fasting! I have been fasting for the past 20 years during the holy month of Ramadan. For 30 days, we don’t eat anything from sunrise to sunset. So what happens at sunset? A highly anticipated meal filled followed by much needed coffee and dessert.
When I grew up in Dearborn, Michigan, those desserts were traditional Middle-Eastern desserts like baklava, halawet jiben, kahik, zalabya, etc. But have you ever tried baking Middle-Eastern sweets? I think it takes a special talent, patience and time and I just don’t have those things right now! So, I mostly bake Americanized sweets like muffins, banana breads and my recent favorite…Cinnamon Coffee Crumb Cake!!
It’s the perfect complement to your cup of jo…moist pound cake-like texture with a heaping buttery crumb streusel topping. It’s decadent, delicious and utterly devourable, especially with coffee! I found a perfect recipe online and made a few substitutions to lighten the calories. The result is something you definitely need to try…even if you’re not a coffee drinker!
Recipe Adapted From: David Lebovitz
Thank you for Laird Superfood for sponsoring this post.
Try it, Love it, Share it!
Cinnamon Coffee Crumb Cake
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar I used [url href="http://bit.ly/2rxnRwZ" target="_blank"]Laird Superfood[/url]
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream or whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a 9-inch square cake pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 325F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ingredients of the topping: flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt, melted butter. Stir until the mixture is well-combined and crumbly. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda, until well combined.
- In a large bowl using a stand mixer, cream the coconut oil and the cane sugar until light and smooth. Add the egg and the yolk.
- Stir in half the dry ingredients, then the sour cream and vanilla, then the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened without over-mixing.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and use a spatula to spread the batter as evenly as you can. Then sprinkle the topping over the cake batter in the pan,
- Bake in oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely, then slice into squares and enjoy with coffee, if you desire