A simple and sweet Cream Cheese Vanilla Cupcakes recipe perfect for any occasion, like Valentine's Day. It's easy to make and customize for beginner bakers
The Cream Cheese Vanilla Cupcakes is made lighter by using low-fat cream cheese and Greek yogurt. Replacing the usual butter with Greek yogurt still gives the frosting an airy light density without the loaded saturated fat. You know me, always looking for those healthier swaps whenever possible, without sacrificing the taste!
Simplicity at its best…vanilla cupcakes! This recipe is versatile to make all year round and decorate it however you’d like! I made them this year for Valentine’s Day treats and topped them with berries for a fresh and light dessert.
Yup, I totally went a little crazy with the cream cheese frosting but that’s because baking is not really my forte and so I don’t have any professional piping tips. I literally just poked a whole in a ziplock bag…ok a big hole…and went to town piping the cupcakes. So yes, they’re not beautifully piped but did the kids mind? Not one bit! All that matters to them (and me honestly) is that amazing sweet and simple taste of these perfectly baked cupcakes!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Cream Cheese Vanilla Cupcakes recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
For more cupcakes & muffins recipes:
- Nutella Banana Cupcakes
- Sweet Potato Muffins
- Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Cranberry Lemon Muffins
- Kid Friendly Muffins
Cream Cheese Vanilla Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1¼ cups pastry flour
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt); set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the wet ingredients in stages using an electric mixer. First beat the eggs; then add the sugar; next, add the vanilla extract and canola oil; finally add the buttermilk and beat until well blended.
- When all the wet ingredients are well incorporated, slowly, mix in the flour and beat until just combined and smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling about 1/2 full since the cupcakes will rise.
- Bake for 12 -14 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes, then remove.
- When the cupcakes are cooled, pipe on the cream cheese frosting.
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat all the ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth and well-blended.
- The vanilla cupcake recipe was adapted from Natashas Kitchen