This Nutella Mug Cake is a 3-ingredient recipe made in a mug in the microwave within minutes - it's the perfect single serving quick treat!
When you’re craving a cake with minimal ingredients and effort, try this Nutella Mug Cake. It’s made with only three ingredients: your favorite chocolate hazelnut spread, eggs and flour. After a couple minutes of prep and a couple minutes in the microwave, you’ll have the most decadent microwave cake-concoction
- Nutella: Or your favorite brand of chocolate hazelnut spread. This adds a wonderfully rich flavor to your mug cakes.
- Eggs: To bind the ingredients together and help the cakes rise when they are cooked.
- Flour: I use all purpose flour for this recipe. I haven’t tried using a 1:1 gluten-free flour, but pretty sure it will work well. Let me know if you try it!
How to make nutella mug cake
- Measure the ingredients in a large bowl (or alternatively divide in half into two greased mugs.)
- Whisk until the mixture is smooth and well combined without any clumps or flour streaks
- Microwave until the cake rises and becomes cooked through.
Tips for making mug cakes
- Don’t over mix the cake batter. The flour should be just combined, similar to a pancake mixture. If you over mix the cake won’t rise when you cook it as the gluten will be too developed.
- Use a large mug. The batter will expand to about twice it’s size, so use a mug that will hold that amount.
- Use a mug with straight sides so that the cake cooks evenly all the way through.
- Place a plate under the mug in the microwave to catch any of the batter if it overflows.
Frequently Asked Questions
The beauty of a mug cake is that you can make perfect portions of cake in no time at all! If you do have leftovers, cover the mug with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I like to serve these mug cakes with a spoon full of Nutella for a little extra treat. They are great served with some fresh fruit, like raspberries or strawberries or sprinkle over some coconut flakes, chocolate shavings or sprinkles.
Yes, you can make these single portion cakes in the oven if you don’t have a microwave, they will just take a little longer. Pour the cake batter into a greased oven safe ramekin and bake in a preheated oven at 350F or 15 to 20 minutes.
These Nutella mug cakes are perfect when a sweet craving hits, but you don’t have the time to spend to bake a cake from scratch. These individual cakes are the perfect way to treat yourself!
More desserts to try
- Birthday Mug Cake
- Almond Joy Cookies
- Nutella Cookies
- Vegan Zucchini Brownies
- Cream Cheese Vanilla Cupcakes
- Cinnamon Coffee Crumb Cake
- Chocolate Covered Bananas
If you’ve tried this fun and feel good Nutella Mug Cake recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Nutella Mug Cake
- ¾ cup chocolate hazelnut spread plus more for serving
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- In a medium bowl, whisk together chocolate hazelnut spread and the eggs. Fold the flour until just combined.
- Divide the batter into two greased mugs.
- Microwave each mug for 2 minutes, then cool for 5 minutes.
- Add a spoonful of the chocolate hazelnut spread on top of the mug cakes, if desired, and serve warm.