You're just five ingredients away from the best chocolate hazelnut cookies - literally only made with Nutella, one egg, flour, salt and hazelnuts.
Nutella is magical. Can we just agree on that? And these Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies are essentially Nutella Cookies, which makes them the most magical cookies! Chewy and rich and they take just 5 minutes to prep with just 5 ingredients! They are the perfect way to get your chocolate fix!
I have a love/hate relationship with Nutella. I grew up eating it on pita bread in Africa, and it was a wonderful snack that was also a special treat for us. When I moved to the states and my mom found it in grocery stores, it was a like a little piece of my childhood came back with us here. So, we continued to buy it, slap it on pita bread and eat it out of the jar sometimes 🙂
If you love Nutella as much as I do, be sure to check out my Nutella Mug Cake!
These Nutella cookies are the perfect treat!
But about 5-10 years ago I started learning that some of its ingredients were just not the healthiest or the type of ingredients that will make your body feel good. So I stopped buying it for the most part. I tried other healthy brand variations of chocolate hazelnut spreads and I liked them, but they never had the Nutella ummpphhh. So long story short, I buy Nutella once or twice a year, indulge and then forget about it. If you want to make these Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies, you can use any hazelnut chocolate spread.
- Chocolate hazelnut spread: The essential ingredient! I like to use Nutella but any own brand will work well.
- Egg: To bind the dry ingredients together.
- Flour: I like to use whole wheat flour for a nice nutty flavor as well as adding some whole grains. All purpose flour will work well if that’s what you have.
- Crushed hazelnuts: The nuts add a nice crunchy texture to the cookies. You could also use almonds or peanuts if you preferred.
- Sea salt: A little sea salt enhances the chocolate flavor even more!
How to Make Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
You’ll probably laugh at how basic this is. I mean basic! It’s literally 5 ingredients mixed together by hand in a bowl
Next you’ll place the cookie batter on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven. Easy peasy!
When they come out of the oven, they’ll have wrinkly tops and moist insides.
Top Tips To Make Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- Mix the cookie batter really well so that there is no dry flour left in the bowl.
- When placing the cookies on the baking sheet, leave some room between each one as they will spread slightly.
- Use an ice cream scoop to portion out the dough so that they are the same size.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for the best results.
- Let the cookies cool before storing them in an airtight container to keep them fresh.
Frequently asked questions
Store the cookies in an airtight container and they seriously don’t even get crispy after a few days. They stay chewy and irresistible – well, that is, if they last a few days! You can also make the dough a day ahead of time and store covered in the fridge.
When you bake cookies that are dark in color, it can be hard to tell when they are done. Once the cookies are cooked, they will lose their shine and if they don’t fall inwards if you gently poke them, they are done. The cookies will continue to cook once they are removed from the oven, so let them cool completely.
I do tend to line my baking sheet with parchment, as it means that the bottom of the cookies won’t brown as fast. If you prefer a crispier bottom, you can place them directly on a baking sheet. Lining a tin with parchment also makes clean up a breeze!
I can’t remember where this chocolate hazelnut cookies recipe came from, but it stuck in my head because I’ve made it time and time again and it’s one you definitely need to make with your family! They’re so soft, so chewy, and so incredibly delicious! I just know you’ll love them!
More cookie recipes:
- Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Sesame Tahini Cookies
- Pistachio Cookies
If you make this feel good Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread like Nutella or another brand
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole wheat white flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the chocolate hazelnut spread with the egg until smooth. Add the flour and salt, and mix well until combined.
- Using an ice cream scooper or your hands, form the cookie dough into balls. Place them evenly spaced on the baking sheet. Press the dough gently to flatten the tops.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cookie tops are slightly cracked, about 8-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool.