This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies are such a classic perfect old-fashioned recipe! They are very easy to make from scratch with only three pantry staples and no special equipment. They have a rich peanut butter taste and a chewy texture that’s crisp on the outside. These flourless homemade cookies are gluten-free and dairy-free.
Table of Contents
- Why you’ll love this Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie
- Ingredients To Make 3 Ingredient PB Cookies
- How to make 3-ingredient peanut butter cookies
- Tips for making This easy 3 Ingredient Cookie recipe
- Popular substitutions & additions
- How to store PB Cookies
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More cookie recipes:
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
These simple three ingredient cookies are so quick and easy to make! Just 10 minutes prep and 10 minutes in the oven, you have a wonderful batch of yummy homemade cookies for the whole family to enjoy!
You can easily tweak the recipe to make it with less sugar, different nut butters, and any add-ins you’d like! For only three ingredients, it doesn’t get easier than these flourless peanut butter cookies!
Why you’ll love this Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie
- Unbelievably simple: These 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies are perfect for beginner bakers or anyone looking for a hassle-free cookie recipe.
- Made with pantry staples: No need for a special trip to the store – you’ll likely find these ingredients in your kitchen already, making these cookies an ideal last-minute dessert option.
- Bake in a flash: With a short 10-12 minute baking time, these quick and delicious threeingredient cookies are perfect for satisfying those sudden sweet cravings or surprising guests.
- A crowd pleaser: These easy PB cookies are perfect for sharing at potlucks, parties, or just enjoying with friends and family – they’ll have everyone asking for the recipe!
Ingredients To Make 3 Ingredient PB Cookies
Who would have thought you could make cookies with just three pantry staple ingredients? These cookies are gluten-free and oh-so-delicious!
- Peanut butter: Use smooth peanut butter for the best results. It’s best to avoid natural peanut butter as it doesn’t contain any salt, and the cookies tend to spread more and come out slightly crispier.
- Granulated sugar: Granulated sugar not only adds sweetness, but it also helps the cookies brown as the sugar caramelizes.
- Egg: Use fresh eggs. You can check if an egg is fresh by placing it in a bowl of water. If it sinks, it is good to use. Use free run / organic eggs if possible. You can make these cookies vegan by using a flax egg instead.
How to make 3-ingredient peanut butter cookies
All you need is one bowl, a spatula, a fork, and a baking sheet to make these cookies. A cookie scope is nice to have (I like 1.5in size) but not required!
Make The Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
- Start by placing the three ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix together until the cookie dough mixture is soft and moist.
Portion and bake Your PB Cookies
- Scoop the cookie dough into small balls and place them on a lined or greased baking sheet.
- Flatten the cookies with your hands or the bottom of a glass.
- Then use the back of a fork to press down and create criss-cross lines. That’s the iconic look of 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies, so we gotta represent!
- Bake, cool, and grab a cookie or two! They’re soft, sweet, and incredibly flavorful!
Tips for making This easy 3 Ingredient Cookie recipe
- Don’t use crunchy peanut butter. I’ve tried this, and unfortunately, the cookie texture becomes too crumbly. A lot of people will swear by the old-fashioned cheap peanut butter jars like Skippy or Jiff. I found that the Maranatha one works well and is made with quality ingredients. What they all have in common, though, is they are not as single ingredient peanut butter. I.e. only made with ground peanuts. So you’re looking for something more smooth.
- Don’t over-bake the cookies. Check on them after 8 minutes, and if the edges start to turn golden, you know they’re done. And keep in mind, these 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies will continue to harden as they cool on the baking sheet.
- You can mix the dough by hand or with an electric or stand mixer. It’s quicker with an electric mixer, but the ingredients come together fairly easily if you do it by hand.
Popular substitutions & additions
- Alternative nut and seed butters: Try using almond, cashew, or sunflower seed butter for a nutty variation, or even use tahini (sesame seed paste) for a delicious and unique twist on the traditional peanut butter cookie. Just ensure the consistency is similar to peanut butter for the best results.
- Alternative sweeteners: Swap granulated sugar with brown sugar, coconut sugar, or a sugar substitute like stevia for a different flavor profile or to suit dietary preferences.
- Chocolate chips: Mix in a handful of your favorite chocolate chips (dark, milk, or white) to the cookie dough for a delightful chocolate-peanut butter combination.
- Sea salt: Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on top of each cookie before baking for a sweet and salty flavor contrast.
- Drizzles and dips: Once cooled, drizzle your cookies with melted chocolate, caramel, or even a dusting of powdered sugar for an extra touch of sweetness and visual appeal.
- Spices: Add a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, or even a dash of cayenne pepper to the dough for a unique and warming twist on the classic peanut butter cookie.
How to store PB Cookies
I recommend storing them at room temperature in an airtight container.
How long will these 3 ingredient pb cookies last
They’ll easily last 5 days. If you want them to stay extra soft, try the bread trick! Basically, if you add a piece of slice bread to the cookie container, it will help the cookies stay chewy since the cookies absorb the moisture from the bread.
Can you freeze peanut butter cookies?
You can freeze the baked cookies for up to 3 months. Place them on a baking sheet in the freezer until they are completely frozen. Then transfer them to freezer bags or an airtight container. To reheat the frozen cookies, bake in a 350°F oven for 5 minutes, or until warmed through.
Or, you can make the peanut butter cookie dough ahead of time, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and freeze. When ready to bake, allow the dough to thaw in the fridge until you’re ready to form and bake the cookies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Possible reasons include over-baking, improper peanut butter consistency, using a smaller egg, or inaccurate ingredient measurements. To avoid this issue, monitor baking time, mix natural peanut butter well, use a large egg, and measure ingredients accurately.
Pressing peanut butter cookies with a fork serves two main purposes: first, it helps to flatten the cookies for even baking, as they don’t spread much on their own; second, it creates the classic criss-cross pattern, giving the cookies their distinctive appearance and slightly crispier edges.
These cookies will take around 10 minutes to bake, and I like to start checking them at around 8 minutes. They should be firm to the touch and browning at the edges ever so slightly.
These naturally gluten-free flourless peanut butter cookies couldn’t be easier to make or enjoy! You only need three staple ingredients, which you probably already have. So, I hope you whip up 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies sometime! They’ll satisfy your craving for the rich taste of peanut butter any day. It’s the best cookie for the peanut butter lover(s) in your family!
More cookie recipes:
- Soft Ginger Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Lebanese Shortbread Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Date Cookies
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- Oatmeal Cookies
If you make this feel good 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a spatula to mix the peanut butter, sugar, and egg together in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Using a 1.5 tablespoon-size spring loaded cookie scoop, scoop 15 cookies on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten each into a smooth round shape and then use the back of a fork, making a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown.
- Let sit for about 2 to 3 minutes on the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack until completely cool.
- To make it vegan, substitute the egg for a flax egg, which is made by mixing together 1 tablespoon flaxseed with 2 tablespoons water and letting it rest for 5 minutes.
- Instead of peanut butter, you could try these with other nut butters, but they may be more crumbly.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.