Pumpkin Chocolate Chip CookiesJump To Recipe
- Serves: 24 cookies
These Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are the best fall treat ever...made healthier by using applesauce, whole wheat flour and organic cane sugar! Judging by the picture, they certainly have that "healthy look" but they certainly don't have that "healthy taste" so your taste buds can rest assured they're in for a truly tasty treat that has a cake-like texture and fall-filled flavor!
- Author: Yumna Jawad
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
It’s official…I bought 4 cans of pumpkin this weekend and pumpkin recipe number one is coming atcha…like literally, it’s here and you’re staring at it and reading the blog about it. So disclaimer, I’m not really a big baking buff, but what I try to do is find a truly popular recipe and make a couple tweaks and updates to it to make it healthier and serve my internet foodie friends and their waist lines better. So, I have to “suffer” through taste testing all these recipes that I try to make healthier before I bring you the truly fabulous ones! Sometimes baked goods just need butter and you just can’t get away with it. This Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies doesn’t need butter! It needs a little canola oil or vegetable oil, a little applesauce and a lot of tender, love and care in whisking that yummy batter!
Second disclaimer, I’m still not that great at photographing desserts…they always look so much better in person than the final photographs, so I’m working on that for you guys to deliver in photo form what I see (and TASTE!) in physical form.
But I promise you that you will absolutely love the cookies and they will probably be gone in your house in a jiffy. They soft and chewy with a cake-like texture, rich in flavor from the chocolate chips and I’m seriously thinking…addicting! I had 4 of these just during the photo shoot…it’s a must-have fall cookie recipe that you’ll totally eat it (literally and figuratively!)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole wheat white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk the pumpkin, sugar, oil, applesauce and egg until smooth. Dissolve the baking soda with the milk and stir into the wet ingredient mixture.
- In another large bowl, toss together the flour baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a large spoon or rubber spatula.
- Add the vanilla extract and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the dough by spoonful on two cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Slightly flatten the dough balls because the cookies will only slightly spread in the oven.
- Bake at 350° F for 10 minutes or until lightly brown and firm.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes on the cookie sheets before transferring to a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes because it had over 1000 comments and 5 stars.
- I swapped the all-purpose flour for whole wheat white flour
- I swapped 1/4 cup of the vegetable oil for applesauce
- And I used organic cane sugar instead of white sugar.
- I also used 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips instead of the recommended 2 cups. It’s possible I ate the other 1/2 cup in the process of baking 😉