This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chocolate covered bananas are a great summertime treat that your kids will love! Quick and easy to make, these banana popsicles make for a great healthy snack or no bake dessert.
How to make chocolate covered bananas
- Peel and cut the bananas in half, place on to popsicle sticks and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Melt the chocolate and transfer it to a tall glass for dipping.
- Dip each banana into the chocolate.
- Lay the chocolate covered bananas on parchment paper.
- Top with your toppings of choice immediately before the chocolate hardens and refrigerate.
Tips for making chocolate covered bananas
- Use a narrow glass for dipping. It works better than a wide glass for dipping the banana all the way. I prefer a mason jar for this. If you don’t have one, just rotate the cup around to make sure to cover the banana.
- Work quickly! The chocolate and coconut mixture will harden quickly, so you want to have everything ready to dip quickly and immediately sprinkle the bananas with your toppings.
- Sprinkle the toppings on top, instead of rolling the banana on the toppings. I find it’s much easier to use my hands and sprinkle the toppings I’m using so that it’s evenly coated without making a mess.
- Place the bananas on parchment paper for easy clean up. Make sure to allow any excess dripping before laying the bananas down for best presentation. You can also set them on a cooling wrack without parchment paper to allow the dripping to fall into a baking sheet underneath. But this requires more clean-up.
Frequently Asked Questions
I like to use dark or semi-sweet chocolate for this recipe. The slight bitterness works really well with the sweet banana. If you prefer, you can make these with milk or white chocolate.
It’s best not to use over ripe bananas as they can be too soft and fall off of the sticks. I like to use ones that have a very yellow peel with a couple of spots of brown. They are still firm but have more natural sweetness than under ripe ones.
Because these bananas aren’t frozen, they will keep for about 2 days in the fridge until the bananas start to brown. If you like, once the chocolate is solid, you can freeze the bananas and they will keep for up to 3 months.
The topping options are the fun part of these chocolate covered bananas. There are many ways to top them! Whatever you use, it’s best to keep the toppings mini or crumbled to adhere the best.
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Cacao nibs
- Toasted coconut
- Crushed nuts (peanuts, hazelnuts, cashews, etc.)
- Sprinkle of warm spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom)
- A pinch of flakey sea salt
- Caramel sauce drizzle
- Another coating of white chocolate
More kid friendly treats
- Kid Friendly Muffins
- Pancake Dippers
- Birthday Mug Cake
- Banana Oatmeal Cups
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Peanut Butter Dip
- Healthy Banana Split
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Chocolate Covered Bananas recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Chocolate Covered Bananas
- Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Add coconut oil, and microwave it in 20-30 second increments, stirring in between until fully melted. Alternatively, you can place chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water and stir until melted.
- Transfer the melted chocolate to a tall narrow glass.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Insert a popsicle stick in one end of each banana piece. Dip one banana half in the glass of chocolate and allow excess chocolate to drip off.
- Place dipped banana back on parchment paper and immediately. Roll the banana in topping of choice, then return to the parchment paper. Repeat with remaining bananas.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is firm, about 20 minutes
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.