Quick and easy to make, this healthy banana split is perfect for breakfast or snacking. Topped with Greek yogurt, berries, granola and peanut butter drizzle
A banana split is one of my favorite desserts and this healthier version is just delicious as your classic. Topped with fresh fruits, Greek yogurt and runny peanut butter, it can also be served for breakfast!
Ingredients for banana split recipe
- Banana: Bananas are a great source of fiber, potassium and vitamin B6 and 12. Naturally sweet, they are a great option for a healthy dessert. Find a ripe but firm banana for this recipe.
- Yogurt mixed with honey: A little honey goes a long way and just helps to make the Greek yogurt smooth and consistent so it’s not lumpy. However you can skip the honey or use any other yogurt of choice.
- Granola: Granola adds a great texture to each bite. You can use your favorite brand or try my Homemade Flaxseed Granola.
- Cacao nibs: Get your chocolate fix in a healthy way with cacao nibs. Highly nutritious and full of antioxidants.
- Peanut butter: Peanut butter is a good source of protein and contains healthy fats. I usually warm it up and sometimes thin it out with some water to make it runny for drizzling.
- Other Ideas: You can add berries like raspberries and blueberries and nuts like walnuts or almonds.
How to make a banana split
- Cut the banana in half lengthways.
- Mix together the honey and yogurt and place in the middle of the banana.
- Top it with berries, granola and cocoa nibs.
- Heat the peanut butter so that it’s runny and drizzle on top.
Tips for making banana split
- Use a ripe banana, but one that is fairly firm still. If it is underripe it won’t be as sweet and if it’s overripe it will be too soft and fall apart as you add the toppings.
- Make this dessert when you want to serve it. If you cut the bananas too early they will start to brown. It looks and tastes best made just before enjoying.
- Mix up your sauces. I love to drizzle warm peanut butter over the top, but you could also use chocolate, caramel or raspberry sauce.
- Add varied textures. What makes a banana split so fun is the crunchy toppings, creamy center and tender bananas; it’s all about the sweet taste and textures, so keep it fun!
Frequently asked questions
Traditional banana splits are dressed with ice cream and whipped cream. By swapping the ingredients with a sweetened Greek yogurt, you still get the creaminess but without the extra fat and calories.
You can serve this split, like I did on a flat plate, but you can also buy banana split dishes, which are long boat like vessels that fit bananas perfectly – so fun!
Yes! My healthy version of a banana split is great for dessert or breakfast. It’s high in protein and fiber and will keep you going until lunchtime.
For more healthy snacks:
- Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
- Vegan Protein Bars
- Coconut Date Balls
- Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- Chocolate Dipped Bananas
- Strawberries & Cream Parfait
- Chocolate Chia Pudding
- Banana Pudding Parfaits
- Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Dip
If you’ve tried this feel good Healthy Banana Split recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Healthy Banana Split
- 1 banana
- ¼ Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons berries of your choice
- 2 tablespoons granola
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Cut the banana in half lengthwise, remove the peel and place it in a dish.
- Combine the Greek yogurt and honey together until smooth and well blended.
- Add yogurt and honey mixture in the middle of the banana slices, top it berries, granola and cacao nibs.
- Heat the peanut butter in a microwave so it's smooth and runny. Drizzle the peanut butter on top of the banana using a spoon. Enjoy immediately.