This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Naturally sweet, creamy, and satisfying, this banana date smoothie is a delicious way to start your day! Made with just six simple ingredients, it’s also super easy to whip up. And since it’s packed with healthy ingredients like fiber-rich frozen bananas, dates, rolled oats, and almond butter, you can feel good about enjoying it any time of day.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy breakfast or snack that is both healthy and delicious, then you need to try this banana date smoothie! It’s packed with fiber, protein, and vitamins. The dates add natural sweetness and the almond butter gives it a rich, nutty flavor. I like to add a little bit of cardamom, but you can swap with cinnamon. It will keep you satiated throughout the morning or between meals, and it’s a great way to use up ripe bananas.
why you’ll love this Almond butter Date Smoothie
- Packed with protein. The almond butter and rolled oats in this smoothie provide a good source of protein to help keep you satisfied.
- Fiber-rich. The bananas, dates, and oats are all high in fiber which helps to keep you regular and aids in digestion.
- Vitamins and minerals. Bananas are a good source of potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B-12. They also contain magnesium, copper, and manganese. Dates are a good source of iron and calcium.
- No refined sugar. This smoothie gets its sweetness from the dates and bananas, so there is no need for additional sweeteners.
- Keeps you full. This smoothie is filling and will keep you satisfied for hours. It’s the perfect breakfast or snack to help power through your day. And I especially love it during Ramadan for suhoor.
Ingredients you’ll need to make a date smoothie
- Bananas: You’ll want to use ripe bananas for this smoothie. I like to use frozen bananas because they make the smoothie extra thick and creamy. If you don’t have any frozen bananas, you can use fresh ones, but you may need to add a little ice for a thicker consistency.
- Dates: Dates are what give this smoothie its natural sweetness. I like to use Medjool dates because they are large and have a soft, chewy texture. If you can’t find Medjool dates, any type of date will work. Just be sure to pit them before adding them to the blender.
- Cardamom: This is a spice that is often used in Mediterranean cooking. It adds a subtle flavor to the smoothie and pairs well with the other ingredients. If you don’t have any on hand, you can leave it out or substitute it with another spice like cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Rolled oats: Rolled oats are a great source of fiber and help to thicken the smoothie. Try to avoid using quick-cooking oats. They are more processed and have a lower nutritional value.
- Almond butter: Almond butter adds creaminess and a nutty flavor to the smoothie. You can substitute it with another type of nut butter, such as peanut or cashew.
- Almond milk: I like to use almond milk because it’s light and has a neutral flavor. You can use any type of milk you want. If you are dairy-free, make sure to use a plant-based milk.
How to make a Banana Date Smoothie
- Place all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend the ingredients in a high-speed blender until you get a smooth and creamy texture.
Tips for making a banana date shake
- Freeze the fruit. Freezing the banana and dates ahead of time will make the smoothie extra thick and creamy.
- Soak the dates. If your dates are on the hard side, soak them in hot water for about 15 minutes to soften them up before adding them to the blender.
- Use a high-speed blender. A high-speed blender will give you the smoothest consistency. You can use a regular blender if you don’t have a high-speed blender, but your smoothie may not be as smooth.
popular substitutions & additions
- Add more liquid if needed. If your smoothie is too thick, add a little bit more almond milk until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Amp up the protein. Add in a scoop of vanilla protein powder for those days when an extra boost of protein is needed.
- Make it green. Add a handful of spinach or kale for an extra dose of vitamins and minerals.
- Omit the rolled oats. If you are looking for a lower-carb option, you can omit the rolled oats. The smoothie will still be thick and creamy.
how to store smoothies
This date smoothie is best enjoyed fresh, but it can be stored in the fridge. If you are storing it, add a little bit more liquid before blending, so it’s not too thick.
how long will a date smoothie last in the fridge?
This smoothie will last for up to 12 hours in the fridge. After that, the bananas will start to turn brown, and the texture will change.
When you’re ready to drink it, give it a good shake or blend it again before drinking.
Can I freeze this almond milk date smoothie?
Yes! You can freeze this smoothie into popsicles or ice cubes and enjoy them later.
Frequently asked questions
No, the banana adds sweetness and creaminess, but you can omit it if you want. Just be aware that the texture will be different, and you may need to add something to thicken it up, like yogurt or protein powder.
Yes, dates blend up really well and add natural sweetness to the smoothie. If you find that your dates are not blending well, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes before adding them to the blender.
Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy breakfast or a healthy snack, this Banana Date Smoothie is sure to hit the spot. With just six simple ingredients, it’s super easy to make and packed with nutrients to keep you going all day long. Give it a try, and let me know what you think!
More Smoothie recipes:
- Green Smoothie
- Strawberry Vanilla Smoothie
- Protein Coffee Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Superfood Smoothie
- Pina Colada Smoothie
- Mango Smoothie
- Papaya Smoothie
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Also, try these 3 Smoothie Bowls!
If you try this feel good Banana Date Smoothie recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Banana Date Smoothie
- Place all the ingredients in a blender in the order of appearance.
- Blend the ingredients in a high-speed blender for 2-3 minutes until you get a smooth and creamy texture.
- Taste the smoothie, adding more almond milk if it is too thick or adding a sweetener of choice if it’s not sweet enough for you.
- Pour into a cup or mason jar. Enjoy cold immediately, or store in fridge for up to 12 hours.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.