This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This breakfast coffee smoothie is a smooth, creamy, and refreshing drink to start your day! You not only get a boost from the caffeine to wake you up, but it also has added protein to give you energy for the day ahead. Quick and easy to make, it’s perfect for busy mornings or a pre-workout drink made with wholesome ingredients like oats and bananas.
This protein coffee smoothie is breakfast on the go with everything you need – coffee, oats, banana, milk, and protein powder. The cacao and cinnamon give it a wonderful sweet flavor, and you’ll love sipping on this on your drive to work or school in bliss.
why you’ll love this Healthy Coffee Smoothie
- Full of energizing ingredients. This morning coffee smoothie is full of healthy ingredients and a wonderful way to energize yourself for the day. Caffeine from the coffee, oats that slowly absorb for lasting fuel, bananas for a quick pick me up with healthy vitamins and minerals, and protein powder for an added boost.
- A full meal rolled into one. I started making this smoothie when I found myself holding my thermal with coffee, a granola bar, and a banana on many mornings, and I thought how delicious and easy it would be just to blend everything into a drink! It makes for a tasty swap to a protein shake.
- So easy to make. I put everything in the Vitamix blender and then just give it a whirl. The smoothie function makes it ultra smooth and creamy.
- Just 7 simple ingredients. You only need simple ingredients to whip up this deliciously creamy and wholesome coffee smoothie.
Ingredients to make Coffee Smoothie
- Coffee: I like to use cold brew coffee for the best flavor, but you can use instant if that’s what you have.
- Oats: Rolled oats add fiber and antioxidants and help keep you feeling full.
- Banana: Use an overripe banana that is naturally sweeter and contains more antioxidants. It also reduces the need for adding a sweetener.
- Milk: You can use dairy or plant-based milk you like in this recipe. Try making your own almond milk or oat milk at home.
- Protein powder: I like to use a vanilla-flavored protein powder to give me the energy I need to face the day!
- Cocoa powder and cinnamon: For flavor.
Why is protein important in the morning?
So, why do you need protein in the morning? Protein can actually help your body wake up properly in the morning with the right amount of energy your body needs. In fact, if you combine protein with carbs (rolled oats and banana), it actually helps you slow down digestion of your breakfast, meaning you’ll have energy to carry you through your morning without being starved before it’s lunchtime.
How to make a Coffee Smoothie
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender.
- Blend until ultra creamy, adding more milk if needed.
RECIPE VIDEO TUTORIAL
“Please note that the measurements in this Coffee Smoothie video have been revised since the making of this video.”
Tips for making Coffee Oat Smoothie
- Make it into a smoothie bowl! To do so, I recommend using instant coffee instead of brewed coffee and adding an extra frozen banana. It comes out so thick and creamy, like in this instagram video.
- Use a frozen banana. The frozen banana makes the smoothie cold and refreshing and helps create a creamy ice cream-like texture, making it even more irresistible.
- Make it the night before. When I know I have a busy morning, I love to put all the ingredients of this banana coffee smoothie in a blender at night, store it in the fridge, and then give it a whirl in the morning! It’s easy, convenient, and full of fuel!
- Adjust the liquid. Add more coffee or milk to your smoothie if it is too thick.
- Freeze the coffee first. Make a batch of strong coffee and free in an ice cube tray. Once frozen, you can transfer them to a zip-top bag and use them whenever you like. Just like frozen bananas, coffee ice cubes in a smoothie will keep it chilly and refreshing.
popular substitutions & additions
- Make with Oath Overnight Oats: This is a brand I launched to create convenient packages of my oatmeal recipes. Try substituting equal parts of the chocolate overnight oats mix in this recipe instead of using rolled oats.
- Add nut butter. Add a tablespoon of your favorite nut butter like almond butter, cashew butter, or peanut butter for a nutty flavor.
- Sneak in some leafy greens. Smoothies are a great way to include some healthy ingredients you may not normally eat, especially in the mornings. Blend in a handful of leafy greens like spinach and kale for all the health benefits without overpowering the smoothie’s flavor. The cocoa powder and banana help mask it for an enjoyable drink.
- Add a sweetener. If you like your smoothies a little sweeter, blend in a pitted Medjool date, maple syrup, honey, or another sweetener you like.
- Add extra nutrition. You can make smoothies as nutritious as you’d like with easy add-ins. Here are a few ideas for healthy additions to this easy coffee smoothie:
- Chia seeds: Add a tablespoon to your smoothie. They have a perfect balance of fiber and fats, are considered a “superfood,” and help to keep you feeling satiated.
- Hemp seeds: A good source of plant-based protein and helps to sustain energy for a healthy fat to add to your coffee breakfast smoothie.
- Avocado: Not only will this make your smoothie ultra thick and creamy, but it’s also full of some healthy goodness like added protein, an excellent source of fiber, and healthy fats.
- Flaxseed: For an added boost of fiber and minerals. Use a flaxseed meal for a smooth finish.
how to store Coffee Smoothie
If you have leftovers after making this cold brew coffee smoothie, you can store the remainder in a sealed mason jar in the fridge. Give it a good stir before drinking to mix together any ingredients that may settle.
how long will this Coffee Smoothie last in the fridge?
Whether you make this ahead of time or have leftovers, this smoothie made with coffee and oats will last for up to a day when stored in the fridge.
can I freeze Coffee Banana Smoothie?
Make this coffee smoothie into a freezer pack! I love making freezer smoothie packs for a quick and easy breakfast or snack. To freeze, add the chopped banana, oats, coffee (cubes would be best), cocoa and protein powder, and cinnamon to a quart-sized freezer bag. When ready to make, dump the freezer-pack ingredients into a high speed blender with the milk of choice and blend until smooth. Start slow and increase speed so the frozen ingredients have a chance to break up a bit.
Frequently asked questions
This is a great filling smoothie with under 300 calories, so it’s a great breakfast that will keep you satisfied. It’s a great way to get a hit of caffeine with a boost of protein to keep you going until lunch.
If you have any leftovers, you can place them in a mason jar with a lid and it will last for 24 hours in the fridge, but I recommend drinking it immediately after making it. If the smoothie settles while in the fridge, just use a fork to mix everything together again.
Brewed coffee is best for this recipe; you can use your favorite kind. Feel free to use decaffeinated coffee if you are sensitive, and use a rich coffee if you prefer.
This protein coffee smoothie is velvety and rich, full of delicious breakfast flavors like oats, banana, and coffee, all blended into a delicious smoothie. It actually tastes like morning dessert because of the cacao, but there’s no sugar added, and it has a whopping 18 grams of protein! Say hello to your new burst of morning energy!
For MORE COFFEE recipes
- Whipped Coffee
- Coconut Oil Coffee
- Golden Milk Turmeric Latte
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Coffee Crumb Cake
- Iced Matcha Latte
- Cold Brew Coffee
For MORE SMOOTHIE recipes
- Make Ahead Freezer Smoothie Packs
- Banana Date Smoothie
- Very Berry Smoothie
- Kiwi Mango Smoothie
- Piña Colada Smoothie
If you try this feel good Breakfast Coffee Smoothie recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
This Breakfast Coffee Smoothie recipe was originally published on September 28, 2018. The recipe has been slightly modified for two servings, and the post now includes new step-by-step photos of how to make the coffee smoothie.
- Place all the ingredients in a high-speed blender, and blend for 60-120 seconds until you get a smooth and creamy texture.
- Taste the smoothie, adding more milk if it is too thick or adding more sweetener if it’s not sweet enough. Pour into a cup or mason jar. Enjoy immediately, or store in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.