This Breakfast Coffee Smoothie is your morning meal on-the-go with everything you need to get you going - coffee, oats, banana, milk and protein powder.
This breakfast coffee smoothie is the perfect way to start your day! You not only get a boost from the caffeine to wake you up, it also has added protein to give you energy for the day ahead. Quick and easy to make, it’s perfect for busy mornings and is a tasty swap for a protein shake.
This protein coffee smoothie is breakfast on-the-go with everything you need – coffee, oats, banana, milk and protein powder. Ain’t nobody got time to sit down for a full breakfast everyday! When I know I have a busy morning, I love to put all the ingredients of this Breakfast Coffee Smoothie in a blender at night, store it in the fridge, and then give it a whirl in the morning! It’s easy, convenient and full of fuel!
Be sure to check out these other recipes using instant coffee!
- Coffee: I like to use cold brew coffee for the best flavor, but you can use instant if that’s what you have.
- Oats: Rolled oats add fiber and antioxidants and will help to keep you feeling full.
- Banana: Use an overripe banana which will be naturally sweeter and contain more antioxidants.
- Milk: You can use any milk you like in this recipe, dairy or plant-based.
- Protein powder: I like to use a vanilla flavored protein powder to give me the energy I need to face the day!
- Cocoa powder and cinnamon: For flavor.
How to make a protein coffee smoothie
I basically started making this smoothie when I found myself on many mornings holding my thermal with coffee, a granola bar and a banana. And I thought, I need to just blend everything into a drink! And so became this breakfast coffee smoothie! Here’s what you need to make it: cold brew coffee, milk (of any kind), banana, rolled oats, protein powder (of any kind, but actually optional) and a little cacao and cinnamon for sweetness.
The cacao and cinnamon give it a wonderful sweet flavor, and you’ll love sipping on this on your drive to work or school in bliss.
I put everything in the Vitamix blender and then just give it a whirl.
I use the smoothie function, so I can run it for a minute without having to watch the blender while I help the kids get ready for school.
Normally, this is just for one serving, so I pour it all in a to-go cup and I’m out the door. I decided to make it pretty for you guys and show you the color and smooth texture through these clear glasses.
It’s smooth, silky and rich. It actually tastes like morning dessert because of the cacao, but there’s no sugar added and it has a whopping 27 grams of protein! Say hello to your new burst of morning energy!!
Why is protein important in the morning?
So, why do you need protein in the morning? Protein can actually help your body wake up properly in the morning with the right amount of energy your body needs. In fact, if you combine protein with carbs (rolled oats and banana), it actually helps you slow down digestion of your breakfast, meaning you’ll have energy to carry you through your morning without being starved before its lunch time.
This is why many studies show that eating more protein can actually help you eat less calories in your day. Exactly how much protein your body needs is completely dependent though on your own body, lifestyle and eating habits. But don’t skip the protein in the morning, even when you’re on-the-go and late for whatever!
It can’t be hard to miss though when it looks like this…and tastes like dessert!
Top tips to make this recipe
- Make it into a smoothie bowl! To do so, I recommend using instant coffee instead of brewed coffee and adding an extra banana. It comes out so thick and creamy like in this instagram video.
- Use your favorite coffee brand for this recipe. You can also use instant coffee.
- The recipe is easily doubled. This recipe makes enough for one coffee smoothie, simply double the ingredients for two people.
- It’s best to drink the smoothie immediately. As soon as the ingredients are blended they start to oxidize. Drink the smoothie within 24 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a great filling smoothie that’s just under 400 calories, so it’s a great breakfast that will keep you satisfied. It’s a great way to get a hit of caffeine with a boost of protein to keep you going til lunch.
If you have any leftovers, you can place them in a mason jar with a lid and it will last for 24 hours in the fridge, but I recommend drinking it immediately after making it. If the smoothie settles while in the fridge, just use a fork to mix everything together again.
Brewed coffee is best for this recipe and you can use your favorite kind. Feel free to use caffeinated coffee if you are sensitive and use a rich coffee if you prefer.
For more recipes with coffee, check out:
- Whipped Coffee
- Coconut Oil Coffee
- Golden Milk Turmeric Latte
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Coffee Crumb Cake
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Breakfast Coffee Smoothie recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Breakfast Coffee Smoothie
- 1 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 scoop vanilla protein
- 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- Put all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend under desired consistency. Enjoy immediately