This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This healthy homemade pumpkin spice latte tastes just like your favorite Starbucks fall drink, but with half of the calories, fat, and sugar. It takes just 5 minutes to make and is perfect to cosy up with as the weather gets cooler. It’s perfect for pumpkin spice season, and I am going to show you how to make a DIY pumpkin spice latte at home.
This is a healthy spin, my copycat recipe if you will, on the popular Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte. It’s easy to make at home with ingredients you can control, with the same amazing fall taste and *half* the calories, fat, and sugar of commercially made pumpkin lattes.
why you’ll love this Homemade DIY pumpkin spice latte
- Less sugar: In a tall 12 oz cup pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks, there are about 300 calories and 40 grams of sugar, which is like 10 teaspoons of sugar! In my homemade version, there is half the sugar, which is just the cane sugar that can be completely omitted or reduced to your liking. There is also only 200 calories per serving.
- Loaded with pumpkin: Yes, there’s real pumpkin puree in this recipe, not just syrup that tastes like pumpkin. That makes this latte so much more decadent!
- Cheaper than buying it: Lattes can be expensive if you have them frequently. So from time to time, it’s nice to be able to whip it up at home at a fraction of the cost to buy it and only 5 minutes to prepare.
- Tastes like fall: This pumpkin spice latte has all the flavors of fall in one cup and is so cozy and comforting. It’s like a big hug in a mug!
Ingredients you’ll need to make a pumpkin spice latte
- Pumpkin purée: You’ll need a couple of tablespoons of pumpkin puree for this recipe. I like to use canned pumpkin, but you can also make your own pumpkin puree at home. If going with canned pumpkin, make sure it’s not the pumpkin pie filling. You want just plain pumpkin purée.
- Coffee: You’ll need a robust-tasting coffee for this recipe. I used black coffee, but you could use decaf if you prefer. Expresso also works great in this recipe. If you prefer a more mild coffee taste, you can use a lighter-tasting coffee like a blonde roast.
- Pumpkin pie spice mix: You can easily make your own pumpkin pie spice at home with a simple recipe. Or you can buy it premixed at the store.
- Milk: You’ll need milk for this recipe. I used almond milk because that’s what I had on hand, but you could use any kind of milk – whole milk, soy milk, oat milk, etc.
- Vanilla extract: A little bit of vanilla extract adds a nice flavor to this latte.
- Sweetener: I used cane sugar to sweeten my latte, but you could use any kind of sweetener – honey, agave nectar, stevia, etc.
How to make pumpkin spice latte at Home
- Using a high-speed blender, add all the ingredients except for the coffee: pumpkin purée, pumpkin pie spice, cane sugar, vanilla extract, and milk.
- Blend until smooth and consistent.
- Then pour the hot coffee into the blender and blend again until it’s all mixed together.
- When it’s done blending, it will be smooth, warm, and frothy – literally all the fall cozy feels in a giant mug!
Tips for making DIY pumpkin spice latte
- No blender? No Problem. An alternative technique is to simply mix everything in a saucepan on a stovetop and stir until it’s warm and completely blended.
- Make it ahead of time. This recipe can easily be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to two days. Simply blend and reheat when you’re ready to enjoy.
- Experiment with ingredient amounts. This is a pretty forgiving recipe, so if you want more or less of something, go for it! If you want more pumpkin flavor, add a little extra puree. If you want it sweeter, add a little extra sugar. Etc.
popular substitutions & additions
- Top with whipped cream. I like to add coconut whipped cream on top. But that’s optional too. Since I use plant-based milk to make my homemade pumpkin spice latte, I like the creaminess of a whipped cream on top. It’s extra creamy and extra special that way.
- Omit the coffee. If you want a non-coffee version, simply replace the coffee with an equal amount of water or milk.
- Add a shot of espresso. If you want more of a coffee kick, add a shot of espresso or even two!
- Make it iced. Just blend everything together and pour over ice. So easy and refreshing!
- Turn it into a “frappuccino.” Add everything to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy as is, or top with whipped cream.
how to store & reheat this DIY pumpkin spice latte
This latte can be stored in the fridge. Simply blend and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until warm.
how long will a homemade pumpkin spice latte last in the fridge?
This homemade pumpkin spice latte will last in the fridge for up to two days.
can i freeze a pumpkin spice latte?
Yes, but it might become icy due to the milk and water in the coffee. If you want to freeze it, I recommend turning it into a frappe after.
Frequently asked questions
For the creamiest latte, it’s best to use whole milk, but to reduce the calorie and fat content, you can use 1 or 2%. To make these vegan, use plant-based milk such as almond, coconut, or oat.
This recipe makes enough for two drinks. You can store any leftovers in an airtight mason jar. It will last about 24-48 hours in the fridge.
This recipe is much healthier than store-bought pumpkin spice lattes because it’s made with real pumpkin puree, milk, and sugar. There’s no artificial flavoring or syrups. However, it still contains caffeine, so drink it in moderation.
Yes, you can use decaf coffee. Kids and pregnant women can also enjoy this recipe by using decaf coffee.
This pumpkin spice latte recipe makes enough for two large mugs or three smaller ones. So, grab a friend or two and enjoy! Don’t forget to top it with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice.
I hope you enjoy this homemade pumpkin spice latte recipe! Let me know in the comments below if you try it out. And, if you’re looking for more coffee or pumpkin recipes, be sure to check out some of my favorites below!
For more recipes with coffee:
- Whipped Coffee
- Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew
- Coconut Oil Coffee
- Breakfast Coffee Smoothie
- Cappuccino Ice Cream
- How to Make Cold Brew Coffee
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Easy Pumpkin Bars
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- No-Bake Pumpkin Balls
- How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Using a high speed blender add all the ingredients except for the coffee: pumpkin purée, pumpkin pie spice, cane sugar, vanilla extract and milk. Blend until smooth and consistent. Then pour the hot coffee into the blender and blend again until it’s all mixed together – about 2 minutes all together.
- Pour the latte into two cups and garnish with whipped cream, pumpkin spice, if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.