This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This coconut oil coffee is not something new, and has been around for a long time, but it was recently made popular again because of the creation of Bulletproof Coffee. That’s basically coffee supplemented with MCT oil. And here’s the cool thing: MCT oil is actually extracted from coconut oil so there are benefits of using both types of oils in your coffee for that boost of energy.
Oil in my coffee? It might sound bizarre, but it’s actually pretty delicious and may actually be healthy if you have it in moderation.
For convenience, taste and cost, I like using coconut oil. And the result is a creamy frothy delicious coconut oil coffee.
Health Benefits of Drinking Coconut Oil Coffee
If you’re not a coffee drinker, there’s no reason to start drinking coffee after reading this post. And I’m not suggesting by any means that this coconut oil coffee is for everyone. In the end, coconut oil is a saturated fat and having that frequently may not be the best option for everyone. However from all of my research about it, I’ve found that enjoying this drink maybe once a week as a treat is not only delicious but can have some strong healthy benefits like the following:
- Increase Energy: Coconut oil is a “thermogenic” food, which means it generates heat in your body. When you eat it, it can help you create energy and burn more fat. Combine that with coffee, and you’ll be a caffeine machine!
- Improve Metabolism: The caffeine in coffee is known to give your metabolism a push. And coconut oil is largely considered a natural laxative which means it helps to improve your digestion. Combining those two ingredients has a big impact on your digestive system.
- Boost Immune: One of the main fatty acids found in coconut oil is lauric acid, which can actually help fight germs and bacteria.
- Coffee: Use your favorite coffee. This recipe will work well with freshley brewed or instant.
- Coconut oil: Use virgin coconut oil if you can as this is less processed. Regular will work though if you can’t find this.
- Seasonings: These seasonings are all optional, but they are a great way to add more flavor. I like to use coconut milk, cinnamon and cayenne and finish it off with coconut cream, star anise and whole cloves for a really warming drink.
How to Make Coconut Oil Coffee
First, you start by brewing your coffee as you normally do. Then I like using a blender because it helps the stiff coconut oil to melt more quickly and smoothly with the hot coffee in the blender. Pour the coffee into the blender and add the coconut oil. Blend it up until you notice that the coffee reaches a lighter brown color and it’s basically done!
Top Tips for Making This Coconut Oil Coffee Recipe
- I love adding coconut milk to it and some warm spices like cayenne and/or cinnamon.
- You can add some sweetener of your choice like sugar, honey, maple syrup or stevia.
- It’s very customizable so you can even add some flavored syrups or tailor it to your own coffee tastes. It can also work well if you cool it in the fridge.
- For best results, I strongly urge you to find virgin coconut oil that is cold pressed and unrefined. That way you know it’s not processed or chemically treated coconut oil.
Frequently Asked Questions
Coconut oil can help to boost your metabolism, so it can help you burn more calories and aid with weight loss. It’s also more effective than other fats to satiate your hunger, so a cup in the morning can help you avoid snacking before lunch.
Coconut is a fat, so it’s best not to overdo it. It is recommended that two tablespoons a day is a good amount to aid weight loss and make the most of its other health benefits although I personally only enjoy it once a week.
Coffee contains a lot of antioxidants and it can, in the short term, help memory and concentration. Because of the caffeine, it’s best not to drink more than a couple of cups a day, but one can definitely provide some health benefits.
So, maybe you’ll try this this weekend! Or maybe you’ll pass, but I hope you’ve learned more about the amazing benefits of adding coconut oil in your coffee.
For more warm drink recipes
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Coconut Oil Coffee recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Coconut oil Coffee
- 1 cup coffee
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup warm coconut milk optional
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- Whole cloves for garnish
- Coconut cream for garnish
- Star anise for garnish
- Make a cup of coffee as you normally would and pour into a blender.
- Add the coconut oil to the blender and blend for 1-2 minutes until the mixture lightens in color and becomes frothy.
- Add any extras you’d like including warm coconut milk, cinnamon and or cayenne pepper and give it a quick blend for 10-20 seconds.
- Pour into a mug, top with coconut cream, and grind fresh cloves over the cream, if desired.
- Garnish with star anise, and enjoy warm.